Cray Blitz source (Carey)

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

LarsA

Re: Cray Blitz source (Carey)

Post by LarsA »

bob wrote:
LarsA wrote:
sje wrote:
bob wrote:I will try to get both that and my dissertation scanned. My dissertation was written using "interleaf" and before I knew it, the electronic version was unusable due to changes to interleaf over the years. Be nice to have that back in a text form as well...
There's a lot to be said for plain ASCII text.

Perhaps today's students are using HTML for their papers. There's so much communal inertia in the basic HTML text and diagram features that I expect the format to be readable a half century from now.

PDF is another format that I expect to have a long life. It's certainly taken hold in the Mac community and also with Linux users. It's the standard export format for material produced with Pages; that's the semi-pro document processor application on the Macintosh. I use it when I have to have embedded tables or images.

In earlier days, and there were many of these earlier days before mice and bitmapped displays, I used good old Emacs and nroff/troff.
When I graduated from university a couple of years ago, everything was written in .tex, and had been so for a long time. (This was in europe)
used to be nroff/troff. Then Knuth came long with tex/latex. Both are no longer used very much nowadays since we have things like openoffice and such tat provide WYSIWYG type document preparation.
Actually, I've never heard of nroff/troff. Maybe I'm too young.
Personally I feel the separation of content and layout in tex/latex liberating when writing longer texts.
sje

Post by sje »

LarsA wrote:Actually, I've never heard of nroff/troff. Maybe I'm too young.
Personally I feel the separation of content and layout in tex/latex liberating when writing longer texts.
In the beginning, a couple of programmer guys at Bell Labs wanted to appropriate a company owned pdp minicomputer to play spacewar and chess. But since this rationale wouldn't persuade the big wigs, the clever programmers said that they wanted the machine to help automate the documentation process. And the machine was granted, a castrated version of Multics was written, spacewar and chess were implemented, and as an afterthought the document processing utility "roff" (run-off) was written.

The roff program was fairly primitive, so the revised programs nroff and troff (and much later, groff) got written. All of these programs took plain ASCII text files including macro definitions and calls as input and produced formatted documents for output.

So nroff and troff are still around, and groff is used every time someone needs a freshly formatted manual page on a Unix-style system. But they are all based on a subterfuge deployed many years ago.
swami

Re: source available--------- *** Windows build here ***

Post by swami »

Jim Ablett wrote:Cray Blitz 49h
Windows build compiled with Intel Fortran compiler (compiled without problem)

http://www.mediafire.com/?uibnxhd0qou

Jim.

WOW, Jim! Thanks a lot!

Is it a working version without any major bugs? I can hardly wait, I'll check it out when I get back home...
Jim Ablett
Full name: Jim Ablett

Post by Jim Ablett »

swami wrote:

Jim.

WOW, Jim! Thanks a lot!

Is it a working version without any major bugs? I can hardly wait, I'll check it out when I get back home...

Hi Swami,

Ran fine in my quick test - you can thank Bob for that. This build is original console mode only, no winboard support. I'll leave that for Bob, Zach or Dann.
I know nothing of programming in Fortran.

regards,
Jim.
swami

Post by swami »

Oh, It's just a stand alone application? Never mind, I'll download it and will patiently wait for the one with added
Wb/UCI support.

Ofcourse, many thanks to Bob! :)
David Dahlem

Post by David Dahlem »

Jim Ablett wrote:
swami wrote:

Jim.

WOW, Jim! Thanks a lot!

Hi Swami,

Ran fine in my quick test - you can thank Bob for that. This build is original console mode only, no winboard support. I'll leave that for Bob, Zach or Dann.

regards,
Jim.
Thanks Jim. I fooled with it some, just to see what it would do. I think it has some bugs ...

running on a cray ymp

Cray Blitz version 49h
what is your name?
Dave
are you continuing your last game?
no
should I play white?
yes
your move, Dave
draw

draw accepted, Dave
your move, Dave

:-)

Regards
Dave
bob

Post by bob »

David Dahlem wrote:
Jim Ablett wrote:
swami wrote:

Jim.

WOW, Jim! Thanks a lot!

Hi Swami,

regards,
Jim.
Thanks Jim. I fooled with it some, just to see what it would do. I think it has some bugs ...

running on a cray ymp

Cray Blitz version 49h
what is your name?
Dave
no
should I play white?
yes
your move, Dave
draw

draw accepted, Dave
your move, Dave

Regards
Dave
Not sure how that is a bug. Initial score = 0 so it will accept...
David Dahlem

Post by David Dahlem »

bob wrote:
David Dahlem wrote:
Jim Ablett wrote:
swami wrote:

Jim.

WOW, Jim! Thanks a lot!

Hi Swami,

regards,
Jim.

running on a cray ymp

Cray Blitz version 49h
what is your name?
Dave
no
should I play white?
yes
your move, Dave
draw

draw accepted, Dave
your move, Dave

Regards
Dave
Accepting a draw without any moves being made is not a bug? Oh well. What about when i tell it to play white and it doesn't make a move, instead it says "Your move, Dave"?

Regards
Dave
LarsA

Post by LarsA »

sje wrote:
LarsA wrote:Actually, I've never heard of nroff/troff. Maybe I'm too young.
In the beginning, a couple of programmer guys at Bell Labs wanted to appropriate a company owned pdp minicomputer to play spacewar and chess. But since this rationale wouldn't persuade the big wigs, the clever programmers said that they wanted the machine to help automate the documentation process. And the machine was granted, a castrated version of Multics was written, spacewar and chess were implemented, and as an afterthought the document processing utility "roff" (run-off) was written.

The roff program was fairly primitive, so the revised programs nroff and troff (and much later, groff) got written. All of these programs took plain ASCII text files including macro definitions and calls as input and produced formatted documents for output.

So nroff and troff are still around, and groff is used every time someone needs a freshly formatted manual page on a Unix-style system. But they are all based on a subterfuge deployed many years ago.
Thanks for the little history lesson! :)
bob

Post by bob »

David Dahlem wrote:
bob wrote:
David Dahlem wrote:
Jim Ablett wrote:
swami wrote:

Jim.

WOW, Jim! Thanks a lot!

Hi Swami,

regards,
Jim.

running on a cray ymp

Cray Blitz version 49h
what is your name?
Dave
no
should I play white?
yes
your move, Dave
draw

draw accepted, Dave
your move, Dave

Regards
Dave
Accepting a draw without any moves being made is not a bug? Oh well. What about when i tell it to play white and it doesn't make a move, instead it says "Your move, Dave"?

Regards
Dave
As with most programs in "console mode" just type "go". Once you answer the question "should I play white" you still probably want a chance to set various options in a real tournament game...