Chessbase Promoting RobboLito?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Re: Chessbase Promoting RobboLito?

Post by Harvey Williamson »

kingliveson wrote: Have you not read where he boots and bans/deleted a newly created account for no reason even when ChessBase’s own policy states that you have 5 days to enter a serial number for each account created? Has there been denial by the ChessBase staffer who responded here that what was posted is not exactly what happened?
Playchess Engine Room > Info Tab
Creating a Nickname:
When creating a new nick please keep in mind that no unregistered account will be allowed to play in engine room, Only Valid registered accounts. New users will have 5 days to enter the serial number provided in the manual of the booklet, or via server serial purchase, Unless otherwise arranged with sysop or chessbase empolyee.

You are not a new user.
seemychess

Post by seemychess »

first and most of all their needs to be a panel of programers who will look at the source code of both programs and decide if it is a clone. i do not trust vas, if any program comes along and beats rybka vas will say it is a clone. i played aginst robbolito and it does not play like rybka. the panel should consist of 3 programers who are not with either program like (dr. hyatt, glarung programer, and shredder progamer). like i said if any program comes along and beats rybka vas will say it is a clone. and if chessbase does not allow clones why do they allow rybka since it came from fruit..
alpha123

Post by alpha123 »

seemychess wrote:first and most of all their needs to be a panel of programers who will look at the source code of both programs and decide if it is a clone. i do not trust vas, if any program comes along and beats rybka vas will say it is a clone. i played aginst robbolito and it does not play like rybka. the panel should consist of 3 programers who are not with either program like (dr. hyatt, glarung programer, and shredder progamer). like i said if any program comes along and beats rybka vas will say it is a clone. and if chessbase does not allow clones why do they allow rybka since it came from fruit..
Simple. They let Rybka play because they sell it. They don't let Robbo play because computer chess enthusiasts wouldn't buy their Rybka if it wasn't the strongest thing it the engine room.

I like the idea of Dr. Hyatt, Tord Romstad, and Stefan Meyer-Kahlen examining Robbolito and comparing it with Rybka.

Peter
Harvey Williamson

alpha123 wrote:
seemychess wrote:first and most of all their needs to be a panel of programers who will look at the source code of both programs and decide if it is a clone. i do not trust vas, if any program comes along and beats rybka vas will say it is a clone. i played aginst robbolito and it does not play like rybka. the panel should consist of 3 programers who are not with either program like (dr. hyatt, glarung programer, and shredder progamer). like i said if any program comes along and beats rybka vas will say it is a clone. and if chessbase does not allow clones why do they allow rybka since it came from fruit..
Simple. They let Rybka play because they sell it. They don't let Robbo play because computer chess enthusiasts wouldn't buy their Rybka if it wasn't the strongest thing it the engine room.

I like the idea of Dr. Hyatt, Tord Romstad, and Stefan Meyer-Kahlen examining Robbolito and comparing it with Rybka.

Peter
Rybka played in the engine room for a long time before CB sold it.
alpha123

Post by alpha123 »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
alpha123 wrote:

Peter
Rybka played in the engine room for a long time before CB sold it.
Rybka being derived from Fruit wasn't a issue then. Now, there is some question about Rybka possibly coming from Fruit, and since you guys banned Robbolito form the server without definite proof of it being a clone, some people where wondering if Rybka would get banned. I just answered 'No' because it wouldn't be very profitable to you, while banning Robbolito is profitable.
Harvey Williamson

alpha123 wrote: I just answered 'No' because it wouldn't be very profitable to you, while banning Robbolito is profitable.
Makes no difference to me I don't get paid. I am also 99% sure that the Fruit/strelka/rybka issue was also discussed a lot before CB sold it.
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

It's good to be cautious and wary at first when we have these claims floating around by Vas, and the fact that it appears to have come out from no-where.
But hey, come on it has now been over 6 months when this first was leaked.And the general public still don't have any reliable info supporting these claims.I smell a cover up.
In the future any claim of clone should only be allowed a week or two for evidence gathering.After that time it should be declared undecided and let it be free to play where-ever when ever.
kingliveson

Post by kingliveson »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
kingliveson wrote: Have you not read where he boots and bans/deleted a newly created account for no reason even when ChessBase’s own policy states that you have 5 days to enter a serial number for each account created? Has there been denial by the ChessBase staffer who responded here that what was posted is not exactly what happened?
Playchess Engine Room > Info Tab
Creating a Nickname:
When creating a new nick please keep in mind that no unregistered account will be allowed to play in engine room, Only Valid registered accounts. New users will have 5 days to enter the serial number provided in the manual of the booklet, or via server serial purchase, Unless otherwise arranged with sysop or chessbase empolyee.

You are not a new user.

Harvey,

This is getting embarrassing, and perhaps it is time to put down the shovel. The nick was booted and deleted only a few minutes after it was created. There is nowhere under ChessBase/Playchess policy that states you are not allowed additional nicks. Even the text you quoted from the ChessBase/Playchess policy dismisses your own claim:
3. When creating a new nick please keep in mind that no unregistered account will be allowed to play in engine room,Only Valid registered accounts .New users will have 5 days to enter the serial number provided in the manual of the booklet,or via server serial purchase.Unless otherwise arranged with sysop or chessbase empolyee.
Let’s add a little perspective. You can talk about RobboLito but can’t use the chess program itself for engine games in playchess.com engine room. I posed a question in the engine room regarding the policy. Holger Lieske, a SysOp, responded as well as others—I then summarized the discussion and posted it on the English Channel. Immediately after I posted my comment, it seems Lieske was embarrassed by his answer and wanted a private chat with me. I did not have a problem with this though I told him that I would rather the discussion be public. Holger Lieske then mutes my account, demotes my Bishop ranking to a pawn, and boots me from the server. There was no other way to communicate with ChessBase staffers but to create another nick. All this is documented and cannot be denied. It happened no other way. Harvey, do you have something different?

Now, what Harvey and his partners do is, when you provide them with fact and information, they either digress or look for a loophole—they won’t answer the underlying question. I have 2 accounts that I paid money for that have now been diminished without any reason given. Many emails have been sent to ChessBase since 11.25.09 and I have not received a single response.

It gets interesting. After reading my thread here on CCC, Kevin Frayer who witnessed the playchess.com engine room discussion, responded here. He received a threatening email from a ChessBase staffer, and when he logged into playchess.com, he was harassed and had his account diminished. Jorge Centellas (Don Juan) saw what happened to Kevin and posted a thread on his website—the next time he logged into playchess.com, he was harassed and had his account diminished. The services we pay money to use remain diminished. Harvey Williamson, which ChessBase/Playchess policy did I or the others violate? From which moral or ethical standards did we deviate? I was under the impression Harvey Williamson was an educated individual who should know from history that "I was only following orders" is not an acceptable legal line of defense.

More details provided here: http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... 218#308218

Franklin
Michael Diosi

Post by Michael Diosi »

Hi,

I am also muted for having using an Arena logo in my profile. They also manipulated my popularity ranking.

Also a welll known sysop there used to say at the time Rybka was not sold by ChessBase : "Rybka is crap"

So it is their own words: THEY SELL CRAP

Next will be: You need to be a member of the Communist Party within 5 days to join the server else you a subversive element who is damaging the image of the great ChessBase achievements. YOu need to read just the ChessBase homepage. All other pages who don't glorify ChessBase are subversive and should be banned from the internet. The ChessBase sysops names may be mentioned if and only if you say they are great. This reminds me of some attitudes some years ago...

Anyway who needs such a server with such sysops ? ALL of them are involved in banning and muting people for personal reasons. If you read the CSS or Schachfeld in German you will see what sysops think about you and ChessBase customers in general.

Michael
http://www.playwitharena.com
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

alpha123 wrote:

Peter
Rybka is going to be the strongest thing in their engine room even if they allow robbo to play.

Rybka on a quad is stronger than robbo.
They have good reasons not to let robbo to play but not the reason that you mention.

Uri