Surprise...

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

geots

Re: Surprise...

Post by geots »

Steve B wrote:
K I Hyams wrote:
George has told us that he posts his “stuff” because Vas once sent him some nice emails. Plenty of con men are adept at sending out nice emails and so it is fortunate that most of us base our allegiances on more sophisticated considerations.

Many of Rajlich’s apologists base their positions on the notion that this was a victimless crime. It was not a victimless crime. If code was stolen and abused in the way that now seems certain, there were many victims. They include engine authors who lost money, tournament directors who were deceived, competitors who were deprived of prizes and end-users who were sold products under false pretences. Perhaps such considerations do not bother George because he has his emails to treasure.

Hi Keith
ah...now i see
i missed that telling admission by George
explains alot

you know i was the chief sponsor of the GM Joel Benjamin V Rybka ..Draw odds match ..held a few years ago
of course at the time i was not aware of Rybka's illegality
anyway....i think i have some emails from Rajlich thanking me for sponsoring the match
im not sure..i have to check back
if so i will send them along to George for his collection

F&F Regards
Steve

By now you know Hyams dreamed all that up as well. He could not even find the thread to prove it. But you immediately grabbed it as the truth and ran with it.

You assumed it was true, just as he assumed his "facts". You guys assume a hell of a lot that you can't back up.

But at least you run with good company. This is worse than pitiful.

gts
geots

Post by geots »

Houdini wrote:
Don wrote:I think it's because now Houdini is trying to go commercial with a GPL program without releasing the source code or even admitting its origins.
Funny, for you the problem only arises because Houdini is now commercial?

Let me state one more time, for the record, that Houdini does NOT contain any licensed code, GPL or other, except for the Gaviota probing code which is copyright M. Ballicora.

Let me state one more time, for the record, that I have acknowledged FROM THE START the sources of inspiration for Houdini, unlike most other engine developers (including yourself) who freely use all kind of sources (including Ippolit, Stockfish, etc, apparently now you even use Critter sources) without giving the slightest acknowledgement whatsoever.

Robert

Robert, I think you now see why Vas did not come on TalkChess and other forums to defend his position. Too many here learned long ago that instead of attempting to rise to the level of another person, it was much easier and less work to just tear the person down to their level. I would not waste another minute on here.

gts
Alexander Schmidt

Post by Alexander Schmidt »

geots wrote:If I was in your place- I would be ashamed of myself. But I am quite confident you don't care.

Wading in all the lies,

gts
I explicite wrote that my question was not judging the case, it was a simple question about internet relations.

You should be ashamed to attack me like that for a simple question.

Don't worry. I wont bother you anymore with factual questions.

Have a nice life...
Alexander Schmidt

Post by Alexander Schmidt »

Albert Silver wrote:Strange copy that is 350 Elo stronger.
You did not want to understand the question? :roll:

Others could have answerd "A strange nice quy who steals copyrighted code"
Last edited by Alexander Schmidt on Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
geots

Post by geots »

Alexander Schmidt wrote:
geots wrote:If I was in your place- I would be ashamed of myself. But I am quite confident you don't care.

Wading in all the lies,

gts
I explicite wrote that my question was not judging the case, it was a simple question about internet relations.

You should be ashamed to attack me like that for a simple question.

Don't worry. I wont bother you anymore with factual questions.

Have a nice life...

I am very sorry that you feel that way, and I only said what I did because you mentioned him laughing at me about charging me for an open-source engine. Now if you say I read it wrong, and you did not mean "ME EXACTLY", but anyone who spent the money- as I think you are saying- I apologize to you, and I hope you will accept it. It was a bit strange, I admit, because you are not one who likes to argue a lot. I accept your explanation- you please accept my apology, and I will feel better about the whole thing.

Best To You,

gts
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

geots wrote:
Steve B wrote:
K I Hyams wrote:
George has told us that he posts his “stuff” because Vas once sent him some nice emails. Plenty of con men are adept at sending out nice emails and so it is fortunate that most of us base our allegiances on more sophisticated considerations.

Many of Rajlich’s apologists base their positions on the notion that this was a victimless crime. It was not a victimless crime. If code was stolen and abused in the way that now seems certain, there were many victims. They include engine authors who lost money, tournament directors who were deceived, competitors who were deprived of prizes and end-users who were sold products under false pretences. Perhaps such considerations do not bother George because he has his emails to treasure.

Hi Keith
ah...now i see
explains alot

you know i was the chief sponsor of the GM Joel Benjamin V Rybka ..Draw odds match ..held a few years ago
anyway....i think i have some emails from Rajlich thanking me for sponsoring the match

F&F Regards
Steve

By now you know Hyams dreamed all that up as well. He could not even find the thread to prove it. But you immediately grabbed it as the truth and ran with it.

You assumed it was true, just as he assumed his "facts". You guys assume a hell of a lot that you can't back up.

gts
Actually what i assumed was that replying to the threads you create was a rationale thing to do
i see now that all it does is provoke you to lash out with outbursts and personally attack everyone who challenges you
you have attacked more members here in this one thread then most folks can manage in a posting lifetime
you brazenly and openly post that you dont give a rats butt if a program is shown to be as illegal as sin and you will use it and enjoy it anyway
folks then to reply to you and then you post that you dont give another rats ass what they say
years ago it was a pleasure replying to your threads George
you disappeared for awhile and then you returned
actually i was happy to see you come back
but your different now i guess
it happens ..
Stay well Regards
Steve
geots

Post by geots »

Uri Blass wrote:I disagree.

I do not feel that Vas cheated me.
I payed for playing strength when I bought Rybka1,Rybka2 and Rybka3
and I do not care if Vas did something illegal to achieve the playing strength because the bottom line is that I got engine that is strong enough and was clearly number 1.

Uri, Norman is the only person I know who has cloned enough engines so that you could run a 4-cycle RR allowing just the clones he tried to get away with.

I would not know where to even begin responding to anything he says.

gts
geots

Post by geots »

Steve B wrote:
geots wrote:
Steve B wrote:
K I Hyams wrote:

Hi Keith
ah...now i see
explains alot

F&F Regards
Steve

gts
Actually what i assumed was that replying to the threads you create was a rationale thing to do
i see now that all it does is provoke you to lash out with outbursts and personally attack everyone who challenges you
you have attacked more members here in this one thread then most folks can manage in a posting lifetime
you brazenly and openly post that you dont give a rats butt if a program is shown to be as illegal as sin and you will use it and enjoy it anyway
folks then to reply to you and then you post that you dont give another rats ass what they say
years ago it was a pleasure replying to your threads George
you disappeared for awhile and then you returned
actually i was happy to see you come back
but your different now i guess
it happens ..
Stay well Regards
Steve

Like I said- the thread you refer to was written because Hyams says something about me- not a grain of truth anywhere near it. Do you check to even see if it might be false? No, you run with it, post about it, and then play the person unfairly treated.

And every thread of mine that you call "lashing out and attacks" was in response to idiotic statements and lies about me or attributed to me and mostly both.

You want a civil and respectful response from me. Send me something civil and respectful to respond to. Just know that if you bite- I bite back.

And you are right- I will use what programs I want- and buy what programs I want. And not get an ok from anyone.

You seem to be so concerned about supporting the "good" commercial authors- so tell me this. In the last 6 to 8 years, how many programs have you bought? How much money have you spent to help them in their work?

And "none, but I haven't run or supported any so-called illegal programs either"- would be a lame answer. Zero=zero, by any name you call it.
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

geots wrote:In the last 6 to 8 years, how many programs have you bought? How much money have you spent to help them in their work?
I would guess Steve has spent more than most people. He sponsored a Rybka v GM match.
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

now you know very well that i collect old chess computers George ..not Pc Engines
i guess you can say i supported Ron Nelson,Richard Lang,Ulf Rathsman,Julio Kaplan,Ed Schoeder ..etc etc for many years when they were making programs for dedicated computers
probably have spend close to 150k on my collection over the years
but that is not the issue now is it

the issue is your friend that you are defending
well..

way i see it you need to pick your friends more wisely George
Rajlich basically took advantage of a man who single handidly upped the bar on chess engine strength
Fabian was a one man show..a humble ,self-deprecating and polite man, a small time operator so to speak, and your buddy tweaked the engine..sold it ..made a few bucks and then at the height of Rybka's fame ..suddenly rushes off to Poland ..(basically ignoring his forum from then on)
if he tried that crap with a product from a large software company you can bet your rats ass that their legal Dept.would have pursued him ..come hell or high water .. no matter what country he fled to

he knew it will be hard financially for Fabien to assert his legal rights and he took advantage of that fact to the max

Sorry but thats my view
way i see it..your friend's legacy will be that he wrote the book on how to make money off of the intellectual work of a single small time operator unable financially to assert his rights
your pal literally took the money and ran Venezuela

Harry Belafonte Sends His Regards
Steve