Houdini 2 Aquarium released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Alexander Schmidt

Re: Houdini 2 Aquarium released

Post by Alexander Schmidt »

Laskos wrote:Do you know what it means to assimilate knowledge in sciences? If you don't, what I meant is that each one of those famed authors should have got quickly the ideas behind the code, and without breaking any rules, use the open source engines to increase the strength of their own engines. These famed professionals failed on all the occasions.

If you still don't understand how professional science works, go to college. Or you are just nitpicking here, defending the incompetent, to say the least, authors of Fritz, Junior, Hiarcs and Shredder?

Kai
Both, Hiarcs and Shredder, where the No. 1 Engines for years. I think one shouldn't call them idiots. I don't know about Marc Uniacke but SMK said he looks of course into sources of the strong open source engines and uses their ideas. Thats the point, he uses ideas and not the whole program. So he does exactly what you want. He decided to go on with Shredder instead of creatzing and selling another Ippo clone. Thats fine and honorable IMHO.

I prefer an original Shredder.
Alexander Schmidt

Post by Alexander Schmidt »

Frank Quisinsky wrote:Hi Alex,

you are a joker too.

"ins_pirat_ion"

Without ins and ion :-)

Best
Frank
The word "inspiration" is not by me, it is used by Mr Houdart. But maybe you solved the puzzle :D

Alex
Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Code: Select all

You really are very badly informed. See for example your other thread about the GPL stuff, it's really amazing. 

As for your last remark, the funny thing is that you don't have the latest versions of Houdini either. Yet you feel fully qualified to make a claim about the relative strengths of these 3 engines... 
 Are you running a rating list or a Komodo/Thinker fan club?
Hello Robert,

and now?
GPL information are right!

I think you have with IPON and Ingo Bauer your fan club. With all power he try to defend you (GPL thread).

:-)

Give it up Robert, you are using GPL sources 1:1 for a commercial development. I can't believe the Sergei and Victor know that. It would be better you informed Chess OK about it.

Best
Frank
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

Perhaps in cases of a question about advertising, it should go to the moderators to decide if to warn, delete or ban etc.
I don't think it is of computer chess playing interest.

Me too, maybe i also could have reported to the moderators that it disturbs me to see these arguments and rivalry in this forum.
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

Alexander Schmidt wrote:
Laskos wrote:Do you know what it means to assimilate knowledge in sciences? If you don't, what I meant is that each one of those famed authors should have got quickly the ideas behind the code, and without breaking any rules, use the open source engines to increase the strength of their own engines. These famed professionals failed on all the occasions.

If you still don't understand how professional science works, go to college. Or you are just nitpicking here, defending the incompetent, to say the least, authors of Fritz, Junior, Hiarcs and Shredder?

Kai
Both, Hiarcs and Shredder, where the No. 1 Engines for years. I think one shouldn't call them idiots. I don't know about Marc Uniacke but SMK said he looks of course into sources of the strong open source engines and uses their ideas. Thats the point, he uses ideas and not the whole program. So he does exactly what you want. He decided to go on with Shredder instead of creatzing and selling another Ippo clone. Thats fine and honorable IMHO.

Judging by Shredder's progress with regard to strength, I was thinking that SMK is just lazy, and never had a look even at Strelka. Now you are clearly implying that he is at least incompetent, a professional CC engine author which is unable to apply successfully new ideas developed even by amateurs (and available as open source). I am very disappointed by your revelation, as I myself like both Shredder engine and GUI.

Kai
SchachProfi

Post by SchachProfi »

Frank Quisinsky wrote: It seems you are one of the users which are able to looked in detail. I have the same opinion. With more hardware power the engines lost playing strength.
Hi Frank,

thanks for your kind comment.

Analysing my Correspondence games, which often involves letting engines running over night while i'm asleep, i noticed that Houdini, or IvanHoe/Ippolit which i used formerly till the best optimized Ippolit with Houdini 1.5a got known, that they get pretty stubbornly in the depths around 30... it calculates for hours (which is expected, as each new depth should be around a power of 2 to the previous one) but starts printing the same lines/evals, just minorly modified in the deepest moves... while engines like Rybka 3 or 4.1 (where you have to subtract a few depth-levels depending on the type of the position) are still able the improve the whole tree... if you then select the Houdini-move and the best answer it found to it, even in the second move of your side (=the third overall) you can sometimes find serious improvements when looking with a higher Multi-PV... and this way beyond depth30 you used to find the first move... maybe just depth23 on the +2move (so overall depth25 when seeing it from the point of the first move) for Houdini to realize that there are way better second-moves that it originally found in depth30-analysis... to me an indication of high (and too agressive) pruning which make the engine excel in all this "kiddy"-ratinglists, but pretty normal/on-par with Rybka and others for serious (Correspondence) use... Houdini often neglects its losing (printing the familiar ~ +/-0.00s), its relative weak understanding pawn-chains&-formations and overpushes pawns often massively, the queen-value is overvaluated compared to rooks and pieces (and sadly it can't be changed) and it is very addicted to push serious advantages away into high-level-eval-draws... maybe RH will provide us a less-pruning version for serious analysis some day...

Wishing you a great week and good luck for your new homepage-project,

Alex
Sedat Canbaz

Post by Sedat Canbaz »

Peter Skinner wrote:
In using Komodo (single thread) for roughly 500 games and using Houdini for roughly 500 games, the elo difference was very small.

relative numbers.

Peter
Dear Peter,

I have no idea/games about rest testings,including yours(about in what kind of conditions:opening book,games,time control....)

But it seems, CCRL,CEGT/SCCT have a clear Leader,check please the results which are listed bellow

*SCCT Auto232 Rating List:67 ELO Difference
http://www.sedatcanbaz.com/chess/ratings/scct-auto232/

Rank  Name                      Elo    +    -  games  score oppo. draws 

11 Houdini 2.0 Pro x64 1c       3258   23   23   490   55%  3227   46%
13 Komodo 3.0 x64 1c            3191   17   17   985   38%  3269   43%

*CEGT Rating List: 73 ELO Difference
http://www.husvankempen.de/nunn/40_4_Ra ... liste.html

no   Program               Elo     +    -     Games    Score   Av.Op.   Draws

9  Houdini 2.0 x64 1CPU 	3231 	14 	14 	1900 	73.0% 	3058 	32.3%
32 Komodo 3.0 x64 1CPU  	3158 	13 	13 	2000 	65.1% 	3049 	34.1%
*CCRL Rating List: 68 ELO Difference
http://computerchess.org.uk/ccrl/404/ra ... t_all.html

4 Houdini 1.5a 64-bit   3266   +13   −13   71.0%   −159.4   30.2%   2518
5 Komodo 3 64-bit       3198   +11   −11   65.5%   −116.8   35.1%   3066
Best Regards,
Sedat
Peter Skinner
Full name: Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

Sedat Canbaz wrote:
Peter Skinner wrote:
In using Komodo (single thread) for roughly 500 games and using Houdini for roughly 500 games, the elo difference was very small.

relative numbers.

Peter
Dear Peter,

I have no idea/games about rest testings,including yours(about in what kind of conditions:opening book,games,time control....)

But it seems, CCRL,CEGT/SCCT have a clear Leader,check please the results which are listed bellow

Best Regards,
Sedat
That roughly equates to the ICC rating difference between the engines. I'm not saying that Houdini isn't stronger than Komodo. I'm saying that when using them online, the rating difference between the two was small. +/- 70 rating points on ICC isn't a lot of difference.

Peter
I was kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bibles to the fiction section.
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

Sedat Canbaz wrote:
Peter Skinner wrote:

relative numbers.

Peter
Dear Peter,

Best Regards,
Sedat
It`s true that CCRL and CEGT have a leader, but I think you copied the wrong lines.

CEGT 40/20 rating list

11	Houdini 1.5a x64 1CPU	3205	15	15	1409	70.8%
13	Houdini 2.0 x64  1CPU	3191	17	17	 974	64.9%
CCRL 40/40 rating list

3	Houdini 1.5a 64-bit	   3261
 	Houdini 2.0 64-bit SSE	3252
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

Alexander Schmidt wrote:

Kai

No, maybe they're all just a bunch of crooks! Question is, where did the first crook take his ideas from! :o