Xboard 4.7.0 and earlier logos on OSX

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

pkappler

Re: Xboard 4.7.0 and earlier logos on OSX

Post by pkappler »

zullil wrote:
pkappler wrote:Speaking of Xboard 4.7.0 and OSX, is there a pre-built binary I can download? I tried building from source, but OSX 10.8 doesn't include automake, autoconf, aclocal, etc. :(
Get what you need at MacPorts and then build from source.
Thanks. I found an old XBoard 4.6.2. binary. That'll do for now - I'm just looking for a way to watch the CCT games tomorrow.

If HGM or any of the other XBoard maintainers are reading this, it would be wonderful if you guys could post OSX binaries every time you release a new version. XBoard doesn't build on a vanilla OSX install, and most users aren't going to have the knowledge and/or patience to do it themselves.

-Peter
JoshPettus

Post by JoshPettus »

I would, infact that was the very basis of my package of 4.6.2. But unfortunately, my compile of 4.7 is tied to the cairo/librsvg dynamically linked library configuration of macports. So it would be useless unless you installed those ports. In which case, if you could install those its small potatoes to compile it yourself.

No the thing to do is to update the macport port of xboard which i don't know how to do.
zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Post by zullil »

JoshPettus wrote:I would, infact that was the very basis of my package of 4.6.2. But unfortunately, my compile of 4.7 is tied to the cairo/librsvg dynamically linked library configuration of macports. So it would be useless unless you installed those ports. In which case, if you could install those its small potatoes to compile it yourself.

No the thing to do is to update the macport port of xboard which i don't know how to do.
I just submitted a request to MacPorts asking them to update xboard to 4.7, and also to create a variant port that uses gtk instead of Xaw.

My last request (to update to 4.6 from some old, old version) was handled rather promptly. Unfortunately, I don't have time now to offer to maintain the port myself.
Evert

Post by Evert »

pkappler wrote:XBoard doesn't build on a vanilla OSX install, and most users aren't going to have the knowledge and/or patience to do it themselves.
It's not going to run either, since it needs an X server, which isn't included anymore in recent versions of OS X.

I have a new MacBook with 10.8 Mountain Lion. The laptop is nice, but I can't say the OS is an improvement over 10.6 Snow Leopard... :(
zullil

Post by zullil »

Evert wrote:
pkappler wrote:XBoard doesn't build on a vanilla OSX install, and most users aren't going to have the knowledge and/or patience to do it themselves.
It's not going to run either, since it needs an X server, which isn't included anymore in recent versions of OS X.

I have a new MacBook with 10.8 Mountain Lion. The laptop is nice, but I can't say the OS is an improvement over 10.6 Snow Leopard... :(
I put Lion on my laptop, but have stuck with 10.6 for everything else.

About X11 not being included with OS X---just install XQuartz. It's solid as a rock and is meticulously maintained. Better than Apple's X11 ever was. Or install the entire X11 setup using MacPorts.
Evert

Post by Evert »

zullil wrote: About X11 not being included with OS X---just install XQuartz. It's solid as a rock and is meticulously maintained. Better than Apple's X11 ever was. Or install the entire X11 setup using MacPorts.
I know (OS X would be a no-go for me if I couldn't run X11 applications), the point was just that XBoard won't run on a vanilla OS X system, no matter what.
zullil

Post by zullil »

Evert wrote:
zullil wrote: About X11 not being included with OS X---just install XQuartz. It's solid as a rock and is meticulously maintained. Better than Apple's X11 ever was. Or install the entire X11 setup using MacPorts.
I know (OS X would be a no-go for me if I couldn't run X11 applications), the point was just that XBoard won't run on a vanilla OS X system, no matter what.
Not so sure anymore about that "no matter what." XBoard can be built to use gtk instead of Xaw. And gtk now possesses a quartz backend. I haven't tried this yet, but in theory it ought to be possible to build/package an XBoard for OS X that would work without X11.
Evert

Post by Evert »

zullil wrote: Not so sure anymore about that "no matter what." XBoard can be built to use gtk instead of Xaw. And gtk now possesses a quartz backend. I haven't tried this yet, but in theory it ought to be possible to build/package an XBoard for OS X that would work without X11.
Indeed, if that works it could "just work". I haven't tried gtk on OS X for a while, last time I did it still required X11 and the native quartz port seemed to have stalled.

If that works now though it's great! Probably means I should look at gtk again. ;)
JoshPettus

Post by JoshPettus »

Oh thanks Louis!

Yah, that would simplify things. I read that macport's X11 install is maintained by the same guy as Xquartz, so I don't know the advantage of one over the other (if there is one).

I bet with GTK it should be possible for one to make a few changes (including where Xcode needs to put it's data files), create an Xcode project file and presto a native OSX app! But I wouldn't know where to begin.
zullil

Post by zullil »

JoshPettus wrote:Oh thanks Louis!

Yah, that would simplify things. I read that macport's X11 install is maintained by the same guy as Xquartz, so I don't know the advantage of one over the other (if there is one).
Correct, and he's terrific. The only advantage is that the MacPorts X11 is usually a tad more current than the latest XQuartz.