Xboard 4.7.0 and earlier logos on OSX

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Xboard 4.7.0 without X11 on OSX

Post by zullil »

Evert wrote:
zullil wrote: Not so sure anymore about that "no matter what." XBoard can be built to use gtk instead of Xaw. And gtk now possesses a quartz backend. I haven't tried this yet, but in theory it ought to be possible to build/package an XBoard for OS X that would work without X11.
Indeed, if that works it could "just work". I haven't tried gtk on OS X for a while, last time I did it still required X11 and the native quartz port seemed to have stalled.

If that works now though it's great! Probably means I should look at gtk again. ;)
It works. I just built XBoard-4.7 from source, configuring it to use gtk rather than Xaw. Before doing this, I installed the MacPorts +quartz variants of cairo, pango, librsvg and gtk2. The XBoard binary seemed to run perfectly, using the native quartz windowing instead of X11.

Unfortunately, another gtk app I use doesn't seem to work properly without X11, so I'm back to gtk +x11 for now.
JoshPettus

Re: Xboard 4.7.0 without X11 on OSX

Post by JoshPettus »

I have noticed with logos that when doing a match, ics, or something that automatically changes the logos around. Often Xboard (xaw or gtk) will forget to update the first engine logo properly

hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Is this a drawing problem or an expose problem? (I.e. if you cover it with another window, and then uncover, does it remain wrong?)
JoshPettus

Post by JoshPettus »

Appears to be expose, as hiding it behind a window and bringing it to the open does nothing.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

If covering and uncovering it does nothing, it is NOT an expose problem.

I could not reproduce this; when I play a match between Fruit and Fairy-Max, for instance, it nicely changes logos every other match. Both the Xaw and GTK version.

Have you been doing anything that accesses files when you do this? It could be that it fails to replace logos because it somehow cannot find the logo files anymore. What do you have configured for -logoDir in the ~/.xboardrc file? If this is a relative path name, it could be that XBoard can no longer find it if it changes the current directory (as a side effect of using the file browser, for example). If you have an absolute path name for -logoDir, this cannot be an explanation, though.
JoshPettus

Post by JoshPettus »

-logoDir "/Applications/Xboard/Textures/Logos"

Its an absolute directory I'm afraid. Idk I should try in linux see if i can replicate it there.
JoshPettus

Post by JoshPettus »

Yah it seems to work just fine in ubuntu
(GTK xboard seems to respond quite a bit faster too)

Interesting, perhaps it's an issue with apples X11?