Continuation of Critter would be very appreciated

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Jim Collins

Re: Continuation of Critter would be very appreciated

Post by Jim Collins »

Thank you. Very happy to hear this.
Houdini

Post by Houdini »

rvida wrote:
Mike S. wrote:Is Critter discontinued?! I regularly check http://www.vlasak.biz/critter/ but for almost a year, no update. I consider this engine to be among the very top, with very good features like session file (= permanent learning), and Gaviota access. Great strong engine.
Vinvin wrote:IIRC, Richard warned last year he will work way less on Critter because his work take a lot of time.
I am still working on Critter, but I have way less free time than before. Fortunately my computers have much more time than I do and are working on Critter 24/7 (testing new patches). I just need to keep the test queue full.

I planned a new release to be ready in March, then postponed it to May, now it seems it will be delayed again. The current target is "summer 2013". I definitely want to release an update before the next nTCEC season starts.

Richard
Dear Richard,

I hope that you will do the smart thing and not release a new Critter version that includes elements obtained by RE of Houdini 3. If you prefer, we can send you an official "cease-and-desist" letter, just let me know your postal address by e-mail or in this forum.
I also note that there are still plenty of download addresses of Robodini from various download web sites, it doesn't look like you've done a lot of effort to remove this abomination from the web.

Cheers,
Robert
Mike S.

Post by Mike S. »

As the one who started it, I am asking the moderation to close this thread. -
For the rest of the discussion (not intended by me), there is the "Engine Origins" subforum.

Thanks! :mrgreen:

[MODERATION]
I agree, it served its purpose. "EO" follow-ups can continue there.

Miguel
Regards, Mike