A new episode in Ivanov's story...

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Terry McCracken

Re: A new episode in Ivanov's story...

Post by Terry McCracken »

syzygy wrote:
Uri Blass wrote:I do not suspect specifically that anand or Carlsen are cheating but I will not be surprised if we find that one player in the top 10 is cheating in part of his games and he does not need to cheat in every move to get a significant advantage(the difference between being number 30 in the world and playing a match for the world championship is clearly a significant money that can cause somebody to cheat and I think that it is better if arbiters check every chess player at the top to verify no cheating and of course if anand or carlsen refuse to take off their shoes they should not be allowed to continue to play chess(but I do not believe that they are going to refuse to do it assuming that they get the same treatement as their opponent).
I agree that cheating may be an issue at the top, but an arbiter cannot demand that players take off their shoes or submit to even more invasive inspections without a (prior) proper basis in the rules. And of course such rules should be applied to all players equally (but we agree on that).

I suppose FIDE could extend its anti-doping regulations to include body searches for communication and/or calculation devices.
There is technology that can detect anything on the person but the cost would be prohibitive.

Backscatter X-ray
Terry McCracken
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Terry McCracken wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
Take him out back and find out what he is doing. Just do it, risk charges.

When I played in the eighties he would have had his rights violated, by me!
There is no question he's cheating. It's the method that is in question and he will never let you search him unless it is done by force!
Although that I cansider you a close friend Terry and I myself can be described as aggressively oriented when it comes to justice in all aspects of life,I don't think that this is the optimal approach.......

The least he can do is to wave the flag of abuse in your face and can even go further to launch a court trial after that....

Still,I don't think that what he's using is something from outer space....
There must be a way to figure things out regards,
Dr.D
I'm not talking about beating the crap out of the bastard...as appealing that may be. 8-)
I had the impression that you'll smash a wooden chess board into his skull to cause damage to any possible cheating device implemented there :lol:

:wink:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

jefk wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
syzygy wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:What he is doing is a crime both in the moral sense and for the concrete fact taking the prize fund, (money) is theft.
quickly went throught the Dlugy story, lots of words, and assumptions
Yes Dr Wael Deeb a smartphone in a shoe is a bit crazy story but
with a little button camera, and little vibrating receiver (not a phone but something else a little electric pulse or whatever) in the shoe cheating could be explained. With such little metal stuff inside that it could pass the detectors. Technically possible, but proof would be nice, instead
of just refusing to take off his shoes.. (would i do it ? yes why not)
jef

>What you are proposing / calling for is not only a crime in the moral sense but also in a strictly legal sense.
There are many more reasons it is deplorable but I won't bother you with that as you don't appear to care.
Typical non-argument. You seem to lack a sense of proportion.
What I'm proposing is forcing his hand, allow a search, hand it over or be banned for life. There is nothing immoral in that.

My sense of proportion is fine my grasp of the problem seems to exceed your own.

My moral compass is working, please check your own.
Yes,by refusing to take off his shoes,he amplifys the the allegations of cheating....

OTOH,it's really a little bit humiliating when you come to think about it....

A good solution for the situation is to force all the players to take their shoes and to go through all the security check procedures....

Now,if a particular player refuses to do that,it's on him....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Terry McCracken wrote:
syzygy wrote:
Uri Blass wrote:I do not suspect specifically that anand or Carlsen are cheating but I will not be surprised if we find that one player in the top 10 is cheating in part of his games and he does not need to cheat in every move to get a significant advantage(the difference between being number 30 in the world and playing a match for the world championship is clearly a significant money that can cause somebody to cheat and I think that it is better if arbiters check every chess player at the top to verify no cheating and of course if anand or carlsen refuse to take off their shoes they should not be allowed to continue to play chess(but I do not believe that they are going to refuse to do it assuming that they get the same treatement as their opponent).
I agree that cheating may be an issue at the top, but an arbiter cannot demand that players take off their shoes or submit to even more invasive inspections without a (prior) proper basis in the rules. And of course such rules should be applied to all players equally (but we agree on that).

I suppose FIDE could extend its anti-doping regulations to include body searches for communication and/or calculation devices.
There is technology that can detect anything on the person but the cost would be prohibitive.

Backscatter X-ray
Bingo Terry :D

Know what :!: :?:

I was thinking about that yesterady when I had a night shift at the hospital....
Great minds think alike regards :wink: ,
Dr.D
Henk

Post by Henk »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
jefk wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
syzygy wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:What he is doing is a crime both in the moral sense and for the concrete fact taking the prize fund, (money) is theft.
with a little button camera, and little vibrating receiver (not a phone but something else a little electric pulse or whatever) in the shoe cheating could be explained. With such little metal stuff inside that it could pass the detectors. Technically possible, but proof would be nice, instead
jef

>What you are proposing / calling for is not only a crime in the moral sense but also in a strictly legal sense.
There are many more reasons it is deplorable but I won't bother you with that as you don't appear to care.
What I'm proposing is forcing his hand, allow a search, hand it over or be banned for life. There is nothing immoral in that.

My sense of proportion is fine my grasp of the problem seems to exceed your own.

Yes,by refusing to take off his shoes,he amplifys the the allegations of cheating....

A good solution for the situation is to force all the players to take their shoes and to go through all the security check procedures....

Dr.D
If you have holes in your socks it is not that easy to take of your shoes.
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
jefk wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
syzygy wrote:
jef

Dr.D
Remember the kids book called "The Emperor's New Clothes"? Now it would be called "The Chess Kings New Clothes! Don't just stop at shoes, "Take it all off". Oh and let me know when Jennifer Shahade is playing! :lol:
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

AdminX wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
jefk wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
syzygy wrote:
jef

Dr.D
Remember the kids book called "The Emperor's New Clothes"? Now it would be called "The Chess Kings New Clothes! Don't just stop at shoes, "Take it all off". Oh and let me know when Jennifer Shahade is playing! :lol:
An excellent analogy my friend 8-)

As far as J.Shahade participation in a chess tournament,I'll arrange things that you'll be the arbiter to check her out :lol:
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Henk wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
jefk wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
syzygy wrote:
jef

Dr.D
Then one of the rules to participate in a chess tournament is to buy new socks :wink:
gerold

Post by gerold »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Henk wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
jefk wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
syzygy wrote:
jef

Dr.D
Then one of the rules to participate in a chess tournament is to buy new socks :wink:
Bad smelling feet can really mess a good chess match up. I Don't blame the man for not taking his shoes off. :)
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

gerold wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Henk wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
jefk wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
syzygy wrote:
jef

Dr.D
Bad smelling feet can really mess a good chess match up. I Don't blame the man for not taking his shoes off. :)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: