CTG Books at 10 moves deep or under

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Graham Banks

Re: CTG Books at 10 moves deep or under

Post by Graham Banks »

TShackel wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:http://americanfoot.free.fr/echecs/hsbook.htm

The TopGM-8move pgn was discussed in the following thread.
I made a ChessGUI book from the pgn, but I'm not sure if anybody made a ctg book from it.
http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... w=&start=0
Thanks for the links Graham. Can you recommend any TOP GM databases like with only 2600+ games, that will make the best book if I made one myself? I'm a fan of chessbase databases too by the way.

Thanks for all your help.

Sincerely,

Tim.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/896 ... ers0915.7z

ICCF games featuring players rated 2500+
gbanksnz at gmail.com
TShackel

Post by TShackel »

Graham,

That ICCF database is a great idea. Even though it's only 2500+ rather than higher rated, ICCF games tend to be higiher quality games than regular time control games. That's a great idea I hadn't considered.

Sincerely,

Tim.
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

TShackel wrote:My opinions agree with TCEC's (their longest book was an 8 move book) in that letting the computer do most of the work, shows which engine is truly superior in both strategy and tactics. What's the point of winning a game with a long book if it's not the engine that did the work or can take credit
Hi Tim
Of course I understand what you are saying, but don't underestimate the Commercial Book makers. They spend hundreds of computer hours analysing each and every move and variation using the best Engine available to them. Against a Book made with such determination,grit and patience, it is no wonder that even dual-xeon users using the top Engines collapse like a pack of cards ! Also, the THRILL of winning a game is in the winning, not HOW you win it. When I win a computer chess game, it doesn't matter in the end whether I won it because of my CPU, engine or my Book. All that matters to me, is the win.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that this is also the basic philosophy of chess (and WAR !). I remember reading in a basic chess book many years ago, that it doesn't matter how brilliantly you have played throughout the game, but if your opponent gives you a back-rank checkmate in the end, all your hard work and brilliance counts for NOTHING.
Only the result is remembered, nothing else.
Regards
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
rcmaddox
Full name: Robert C. Maddox

Post by rcmaddox »

TShackel wrote:
Frank Quisinsky wrote:Hi,

made no sense!
Many ECO codes need more as 10 moves. In some other ECO codes engines don't find the regular way without theory.

But you can work with my checked database I posted for some days:
Have a look in my download area.

In additional you can work with the tool truncate by Norm Pollock if you like 10 moves only.

Best
Frank
Frank,

It made complete sense. I told you what I wanted. I know very well about ECO variations are longer in mainlines and shorter in non-mainlines. Even knowing that, I still want 10 moves or less to let the computers think for themselves even if it's in the middle of a mainline. There's no way I want an ECO line that drags out to 20+ moves. Then the computers will already have a game decided one way or another without having played for themselves.

Sincerely,

Tim.
Of course, you can limit any CTG book to just 10 moves in the book options when setting up your tournament.
TShackel

Post by TShackel »

shrapnel wrote:Tim
Of course I understand what you are saying, but don't underestimate the Commercial Book makers. They spend hundreds of computer hours analysing each and every move and variation using the best Engine available to them. Against a Book made with such determination,grit and patience, it is no wonder that even dual-xeon users using the top Engines collapse like a pack of cards ! Also, the THRILL of winning a game is in the winning, not HOW you win it. When I win a computer chess game, it doesn't matter in the end whether I won it because of my CPU, engine or my Book. All that matters to me, is the win.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that this is also the basic philosophy of chess (and WAR !). I remember reading in a basic chess book many years ago, that it doesn't matter how brilliantly you have played throughout the game, but if your opponent gives you a back-rank checkmate in the end, all your hard work and brilliance counts for NOTHING.
Only the result is remembered, nothing else.
Regards
Hi,

I disagree about the only goal being a win even if it is just a book win. Your goal seems to be rating points since you play computer competition on online chess servers. My goal is to do self-testing and not for rating points for myself. I actually think it's unfair if one engine gets to benefit from a book win and then another engine doesn't have a fair try with that same opening from the other color. The TCEC tournament is fair because all engines get both sides of an opening against all other engines. That means it doesn't matter if the opening is good advantage for white, black, or roughly equal, as long as both engines get both sides of the opening then it will be fair and the result will be accurate and useful for determining engine strength.

And that's all I'm doing. I'm trying to do fair engine testing to determine which engines are stronger. I don't just look at the online rating lists and say that means engine a is stronger than engine b. I do my own testing and get my own results to see which are stronger. You seem to pick the strongest engine based upon the rating lists and play with it as one side of a competition hoping to get more rating points for yourself. which includes having a good book. I don't do that. So I'm sure you can understand that we have different testing methodologies.

Tim.
TShackel

Post by TShackel »

rcmaddox wrote:Of course, you can limit any CTG book to just 10 moves in the book options when setting up your tournament.
Hi,

Is that a new function in a recent fritz? I have fritz 12 interface, so I don't havae the most recent. I see before a tournament that you can adjust books and book options, but I don't see anywhere to change how many moves the book is. Could you tell me how to do that?

Sincerely,

Tim.
rcmaddox
Full name: Robert C. Maddox

Post by rcmaddox »

TShackel wrote:
rcmaddox wrote:Of course, you can limit any CTG book to just 10 moves in the book options when setting up your tournament.
Hi,

Is that a new function in a recent fritz? I have fritz 12 interface, so I don't havae the most recent. I see before a tournament that you can adjust books and book options, but I don't see anywhere to change how many moves the book is. Could you tell me how to do that?

Sincerely,

Tim.
This has been an option since at least Fritz 8 and possibly before then. I no longer have Fritz 12 installed but here's a brief video of the process on Fritz 13.

Look here ---->> http://1drv.ms/1I22xTQ
rabbits23

Post by rabbits23 »

Anil I would argue that any chess computer programme that allegedly plays brilliantlly throughout most of a game yet allows check mate on the back rank at the end is worthy of praise or recognition.
Allan
rabbits23

Post by rabbits23 »

My mistake Anil Bit early in the morning for me.That should read -Any chess
programme that allegedly plays brilliantly throughout most of the game yet
allows check mate on the back rank at the end is hardly worthy of praise or
recognition.
Allan
PaulieD

Post by PaulieD »

Graham Banks wrote:
TShackel wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:Look up the HS-Variety.ctg book.
Thanks Graham. Do you happen to have a link to it? Or do you say I should just google it? And Ditto with the TopGM book?

Thanks,

Tim.
http://americanfoot.free.fr/echecs/hsbook.htm

The TopGM-8move pgn was discussed in the following thread.
I made a ChessGUI book from the pgn, but I'm not sure if anybody made a ctg book from it.
http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... w=&start=0
Here is TopGM_8move.ctg containing 10,000 games
http://www2.zippyshare.com/v/bcELihkk/file.html