Komodo 10 released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Krzysztof Grzelak

Re: Too expensive

Post by Krzysztof Grzelak »

mjlef wrote:Would you rather be operated on by a doctor who was paid, or one that does it for free! :-)
Everything should be for free. In the end, I pay premiums Health Service.
Krzysztof Grzelak

Re: Komodo 10 released

I have a request and question what are the options in the program Komodo 10.

Suppress
Overhead ms
Time Usage

Please write how to properly set these parameters by playing the game with a time of 1 hour + 15 seconds per game.
mjlef

Post by mjlef »

Krzysztof Grzelak wrote:I have a request and question what are the options in the program Komodo 10.

Suppress
Overhead ms
Time Usage

Please write how to properly set these parameters by playing the game with a time of 1 hour + 15 seconds per game.
Assuming you are playing a game locally, default values for all of these are fine. If you are playing an game via the internet and the internet connect is very slow, you can raise Overhead ms a little to prevent losing on time. But with a fats internet connection, you should not need to change any of these.
Krzysztof Grzelak

Thank you for the reply Mark. I have two questions, such as the setting in the engine Komodo 10. Please write or what the function is Null Move Pruning. Whether it should be enabled or not in the game with different sometimes,an option White Contempt - whether it should be enabled or not.
mjlef

Post by mjlef »

Null Move Pruning should be left on for games. We have the option of turning it off since some endgame positions can be more quickly solved with it off.

You can read more about Komodo settings here:

https://komodochess.com/Komodo-10-README.html

If you can direct future questions to the email address you will find on komodochess.com, that would be great. I do not want to swamp talkchess with Komodo support questions.

Mark
Dan Cooper

Post by Dan Cooper »

mjlef wrote:Null Move Pruning should be left on for games. We have the option of turning it off since some endgame positions can be more quickly solved with it off.

You can read more about Komodo settings here:

https://komodochess.com/Komodo-10-README.html

If you can direct future questions to the email address you will find on komodochess.com, that would be great. I do not want to swamp talkchess with Komodo support questions.

Mark
Just rename the site to talkkomodochess.com and problem solved. :D
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Krzysztof Grzelak wrote:I have a request and question what are the options in the program Komodo 10.

Suppress
Overhead ms
Time Usage

Suppress is only useful for ridiculously fast games, such as game in five seconds or so. Setting to something like 9 might add a couple elo at that time control. It suprresses low depth information display.

Overhead ms should probably be raised a bit on certain GUIs; I suggest 40 for Little Blitzer. I would raise it to 50 for all online play just to be safe, more if there is any lag.

Time usage should probably be something other than zero for optimal play at long time controls, but we don't have enough data to recomend one way or the other. Perhaps users can try plus 2 and minus 2 in long games and report what happens.
Komodo rules!
mjlef

Post by mjlef »

One more use of suppress, and the initial reason I added it, is when using a GUI in one location, and connecting to a machine far away (say Europe to the USA). using a higher value strips out PV display and other information at low depths, saving time transmitting all that across the Atlantic. As Larry said, at faster time controls, it can help. In 5 minute games with a remote server, I would use it (sat to 10-12). Longer games it does not matter much.
Jesse Gersenson

Post by Jesse Gersenson »

Average bytes transfered connecting to an engine over SSH is:

Suppress 0 = 3 MB/game
Suppress 18 = 1 MB/game
Nordlandia

Post by Nordlandia »

Is it a good idea to negative contempt in case K9.42 face K10.

Imaginably Komodo 9.42 use -3 or -5, whereas Komodo 10 use +3 or +5.

Time control is 180m + 30s in addition to ponder applied.

Larry & Mark any advice :idea: