Brainfish, a new concept of a chess engine

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

clumma

Re: Brainfish, a new concept of a chess engine

Post by clumma »

Wow, what a crazy outpouring of hate. The internet is full of people who take their life dissatisfaction out on forums.

I never claimed to have special computer chess expertise. However, I do claim to have enough computer science and general software engineering expertise to contribute to a productive discussion about Brainfish.

I'm always happy to learn from experts. Or anyone possessing facts and making clear arguments.

It's ironic Jef brought up national differences in this context. Asymptotically 100% of European programmers who are any good either emigrate to the U.S. or work remotely for U.S. firms. The situation is so complete it is probably unique among the industries of the world. Except maybe for cheese-making, which we've never been able to figure out.

-Carl
jefk
Full name: Jef Kaan

Post by jefk »

hi,
[quote="Ozymandias"]
CAP evals aren't minimaxed. [/quote]

not 'an sich' but they are in Chess Assistant (or Aquarium);
however i tried to add some of my own epd files to the cap
and minimax again, but then no results show up.
lots of these chessok still seem to be buggy;
maybe should post on their forum one of these days
(there's a rybka/chess assistant forum i think).
jef
clumma

Post by clumma »

Getting back on-topic, it seems Stockfish no longer supports opening books at all. So the reason for making Brainfish is quite understandable.

Nor does the UCI protocol provide any real API for books. Therefore it is entirely outsourced to the host. If the host uses position-based books, it can catch transpositions. But on no account can book knowledge be used in search.

Komodo does load position-based books, which is good. However it still uses win percentages to choose moves, so it is also not able to use book knowledge in search.

For reasons of historical accident, we can say these architectures treat opening books quite differently than tablebases. This is clearly a mistake that I suspect will be corrected soon.

As far as hiding stored eval in engine binaries, I agree with Jef that in the general case this is not possible due to size. However, a specific ratings list could be targeted. For example, if memory serves, Pohl's ratings lists use the TopGM-8move book, which is only 400K uncompressed. It would probably not be hard to hide evals for the positions immediately past the horizon of this book in a hashtable in an engine binary. I'm sure this has been discussed but it may become more pertinent as computer-generated backsolved evals like this start to become effective (as Brainfish suggests is already the case).

-Carl
jefk

Post by jefk »

[quote="clumma"]
ironic Jef brought up national differences in this context
-Carl[/quote]

what i meant are cultural differences; ever been to
the Far East ? there also are good programmers btw;
and the communicate in a different way than (most) Americans;
ah well, i recognize such things, youknow.
For the rest i'm also not infallible.

sa for Brainfish, i'm just brainstorming about
useful additional features, eg. a format similar
as polyglot bins, which can then be inspected
via scid or winboard as Molina pointed out.
If your regards such suggestions as negativity
then you have to get your head examined.
that's not hate, thatsan observation

jef
fantasmadel50

Post by fantasmadel50 »

Mosca Ferdinand thank you very much for your interest and willingness to help, but he knows one thing, in the screenshot that you upload, the book you will not be muetra as an iso image and my yes. 2) Again try it that way and it did not me, he wrote the ryta respecting case sensitive, while epacios and did not work. 3) So try separ the archicos, the engine on the one hand and the book on the other, and write the entire route, not just the name of the book. From what I understand, this is also recommended from the same page Mr. JEF the developer. is not to be pushy, it's just not turned me either ways. So wrote the route exactly as I did in my previous question, the one above, to see if any of you obviously know more than I could correjir me or help. Insurance is an error in writing route, but not which, I have doubts as I put the scripts. And as the iso file, which in my book appears me so.
jefk

Post by jefk »

[quote="fantasmadel50"]JEF the developer. is not to be pushy, it's just not turned me either ways. So wrote the route exactly as I did in my previous question, [/quote]

well i'm sorry Diego, but i don't understand you; maybe
you can use a better translator than google(?) or otherwise
i'm lost i'm afraid; i also can understand a little espagnol
but no so much Portuguese obrigado
mr jef
fantasmadel50

Post by fantasmadel50 »

Por lo que tengo entendido, hay 2 maneras de poder escribir la ruta, 1) Cuando el motor y el libro están separados . 2)Cuando el motor y el libro están juntos en una misma carpeta. En la opción 1, hay que escribir toda la ruta, en la opción 2 solo el nombre del libro. Pero ninguna me dio resultado. Cuando descomprimo el libro en mi pc , me aparece como imagen iso, esto es así? Cuando escribo la ruta, tengo dudas con el guion , Cerebellum-lgth.bin esto así escrito esta bien ? Muchas gracias
jefk

Post by jefk »

[quote="Thomas Zipproth"]
complete recalculation of Cerebellum would take 2 years on two fast quad cores
[/quote]
hm ok, this sounds similar to what Kaufman apparently
has done with Komodo; as for updating the engine, i
presume you then only update the endnodes (had some problem
seeing your google link, maybe i have to login, check later)
also if you would swith to Komodo, just curious;
just as i'm curious about how the GUi of your book
editor would look like in the first release. actually you
should talk directly with Ed Schroder is what i think,
but at least i now played a little coordinating role;
and btw here also is a thread on the programming
forum here about (statistical) books
http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=60980
best regards
mr jef
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

fantasmadel50 wrote:Por lo que tengo entendido, hay 2 maneras de poder escribir la ruta, 1) Cuando el motor y el libro están separados . 2)Cuando el motor y el libro están juntos en una misma carpeta. En la opción 1, hay que escribir toda la ruta, en la opción 2 solo el nombre del libro. Pero ninguna me dio resultado. Cuando descomprimo el libro en mi pc , me aparece como imagen iso, esto es así? Cuando escribo la ruta, tengo dudas con el guion , Cerebellum-lgth.bin esto así escrito esta bien ? Muchas gracias
Esas son las dos opciones, creo que simplemente no estás escribiendo el nombre del archivo correctamente. Prueba con el guión bajo, no el normal. Y por supuesto, escribe "Ligth, no "lgth".
jefk

Post by jefk »

[quote="Ozymandias"]
Cerebellum-lgth.bin esto así escrito esta bien
[/quote]
underscore _ instead of - ;
so its Cerebellum_light.bin
mr jef