OpeningTree released for first time on Android - has stockfish and open PGN and a book

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Ozymandias

Re: OpeningTree released for first time on Android - has stockfish and open PGN and a book

Post by Ozymandias »

adams161 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:36 ami'm not sure how much you've used the app, Ozymandius, but the book is fairly dense I feel now. If there are issues with the book, maybe in time i should learn more what they are.
I haven't used it yet. For basic PGN manipulation I'm already satisfied with Analize This. I miss the option to access books based on my own DBs, that's all,
Ferdy

Re: OpeningTree released for first time on Android - has stockfish and open PGN and a book

Post by Ferdy »

adams161 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:51 am @Ferdy I've added the score symbols in the latest update, 3.5, like +/= and the others. I went with 2.0 and -2.0 for decisive +- or -+. Also dropped depth on sub lines. Originally uploaded a 3.4 without that but i thought it was to cluttered and now looks better in 3.5 with just score and moves for sub lines. One thing I did not do was use a mono spaced font. Tried that but in multi line analysis it cut off about 1/3 the moves on the first main line as the mono spaced font spread out more horizontally the same text. In the end I felt if it got a little mis aligned as you read down the lines that was ok with a solid amount of moves for the first line.
There seemed to be an issue on position symbols. The setting below is side POV and side to move is black, its score is +4.3. But the symbol is +- it should have been -+. Only the sign of the score is affected by side POV and white POV, but the symbols are not.

These are always good for white
+- decisive for white
+/- better for white
+/= slight for white

And these are always good for black
-+ decisive for black
-/+ better for black
-/= slight for black

adams161
Full name: Mike Adams

Post by adams161 »

published a 3.6 right now with this fixed. Should be live in a few hours. typically no more than 2-4 hours but sometimes if you have been to the apps play store page the user needs to shut down the device first to see an update as it caches.
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

adams161 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:23 pm published a 3.6 right now with this fixed. Should be live in a few hours. typically no more than 2-4 hours but sometimes if you have been to the apps play store page the user needs to shut down the device first to see an update as it caches.
It works now :).
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

adams161 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:07 am https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... gtreechess

If you want to search then searching OpeningTree michael adams seems to work now though on one of my devies it was a few items down yet. WE just released so not well indexed.

Has engine analysis with stockfish 10 ( including multi line support), an opening book based on 240K games both players 2300 and up, and Open PGN as well as some installed PGN in Open App's PGN ( both items on actions menu lower left).

Nice to have maybe in the future is open more than stockfish but other UCI engines as the code is generic enough.

Let me know what anyone thinks if interested.

Mike
Any chance for OpeningTree for PC too?
https://rwbc-chess.de

trollwatch:
Talkchess nowadays is a joke - it is full of trolls/idiots/people stuck in the pleistocene > 80% of the posts fall into this category...
adams161

Post by adams161 »

Right now i'm still getting suggestions for OpeningTree on Android i want to work on for example paste a fen. Long term it's an idea to think about, both windows and mac support. Couple of drawbacks i can see though. One is that through the app store i feel i can market better than windows were i'm a web page and in google search. We have passed in the control panel only 5-6 weeks in, 1000 installs already though the play store page at least for now continues to say 100+. And obviously it would be a major project not a done in a week type deal so i'd need to work it into my schedule long term. The other is i've tried to create an app with the functionality commonly found on computers. But i wonder on computers would i be less ahead of the competition. It's still interesting to think about as a direction to move. We are on iOS. It uses Crafty on iOS not Stockfish do to licensing issues but its very similar in many ways https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/opening ... 14935?mt=8
adams161

Post by adams161 »

Per my comment on the book i've updated the book from being based on 240,000 games to now 345,000 games. 55,000 are 2017 games from end of year and most 2018 games and 50,000 are 2013 and 2014 games i had not got. All games are both players rated above 2300. I think it's important in book building to have the rating standard be both players as i've seen other books that for example say one player over 2100 etc and you can get some patzer lines in those books. It been on my mind to update the book since I did not have the 2018 games in having last databased about a year ago.

iOS build with new book for OpeningTree submitted tonight. Android i'm going to wait and get a few code fixes in first. Want a paste in fen option as someone told me Droidfish can make fens and it be nice to check positions from Droidfish against the OpeningTree book. Also going to look at if I can get OpeningTree to show in share with or open with option in apps for PGN games. But expect to release with new book on Android by end of the week.
adams161

Post by adams161 »

@guenther on
Any chance for OpeningTree for PC too?
I was hesitant to mention anything about my Lantern Chess interface as it's a chessclub interface, but i figured what the heck maybe its better to explain how to get some opening tree freatures now on a PC even if its not the OpeningTree App. And most all this can be done by free guest connection. We do have a connect as guest button in lantern chess.

We have opening tree's book in lantern, i think its based on either the 200k game book or the 240k. When examining, which guests can do, Options menu / Opening book. To examine on ICC both as a guest and member you can go to Lantern's Game menu / Enter Examination mode or Examine last game. one thing guests wont see currently is the opening name as we're using the server eco command on ICC which guests can't use.

We also come bundled with Stockfish 8 right now but any UCI or Winboard engine can be loaded in examine mode both by guests and members on the Options menu. Various engine options guests and members can use are in menu configure 1 to 3 lines of analysis showing and set the analysis font and color scheme. Additionally a file can be created with uci parameters that the user wants the engine to read when it starts an engine. More on that here http://www.lanternchess.com/lanternhelp ... lysis.html The code to not show short lines of analysis but stick to full lines which seem to be one per depth is in the current Lantern Chess version 6.20.

We also have on game menu / Pgn sub menu, Open Pgn. Its been fairly well tested to open a wide range of PGN files including variants or positions that start with a fen or both. right click on a game in pgn game list once opened and choose upload to examine that game and use the book and an engine. One limitation guests have is they cant set names on examine board so names show in game list but not on board.
adams161

Post by adams161 »

In response to the book building issues raised in this thread i released openingtree 3.7 with a bigger book. It's based on 345,000 games not 240,000. Half are most recent from 2017-2018 rest are 2013-2014. Update just went out. It should be live in an hour or two.