How to make a double-sized net as good as SF NNUE in a few easy steps

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

connor_mcmonigle
Full name: Connor McMonigle

Re: How to make a double-sized net as good as SF NNUE in a few easy steps

Post by connor_mcmonigle »

hgm wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:13 am Ah, OK, I misunderstood that, and thought you where proposing the same as Chris.

Yes, that would work. As I already remarked here:
hgm wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:25 pmRandomizing one layer, and zeroing the other would work, though! This would not affect the initial net output.
Oh boy... Haha. How did I miss that?
Sorry :)
chrisw

Post by chrisw »

mar wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:10 am this is how I imagine Chris's idea, I hope I got the numbers right:

indeed, it can be viewed simply as matrix-vector multiplication which is nothing but a series of dot products

I like to imagine transposed weight matrix, biases could be encoded as part of the weight matrix with implied corresponding input set to 1
(red parts are new weights)

so basically you create a temp buffer and initialize with biases, then multiply the weights with corresponding input and sum (=fma). if spills can be avoided, it's actually quite easy for modern compilers to vectorize this, but that's not the point

I've tried it on a much smaller net (MNIST - unrelated to chess) and it works, however I use a stochastic approach, not backpropagation.

and it works, but I have the feeling that the trainer has a hard time to actually improve, despite the fact that the 1st hidden layer contains
twice the amount of weights. probably more "epochs" is needed.

the larger net is 784-256-64-10 but it seems I'm already beating (test set accuracy 97.16% = 2.84% error) the results of a 784-500-150-10 net mentioned here: http://yann.lecun.com/exdb/mnist/, my best 784-128-64-10 had 96.88% test set accuracy already.

note that I use leaky ReLU (x<0 => epsilon*x else x), haven't compared to max(x, 0) yet so no idea if it's actually beneficial at all

the problem is that this 2x bigger net will have 2x slower inference, so it has to pay for itself in terms of performance.
not sure if Chris's approach is viable, but might be worth trying. In fact, why double and not try something like 3/2, but I'm sure SF devs tried
many other topologies and they know what worked best for them.
Cool! We like diagrams.
Of course my idea was to show how Albert could have produced a competitive double net by basing it on an SF net hidden inside, but your quick improved result with NMIST is surely astonishing. I guess we may have sparked some new (incestuous) net developments, and indeed, why not use optimised SF-NNUE as start point?
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

The main problem of course is that "as good as SF NNUE" is a relative concept. The double-sized NNUE would start out "as good as" that of Stockfish, in terms of the evaluations it produced. But a Stockfish based on that net would initially not be as good as the one with the original net, because the bigger net needs about double the time to run, so that the nps drops by nearly a factor two (50 Elo?).

So there doesn't seem to be any free ride here; you have to work very hard (in terms of training) to recoup the 50 Elo, before you can get any improvement at all.
mar
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Post by mar »

hgm wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:44 am But a Stockfish based on that net would initially not be as good as the one with the original net, because the bigger net needs about double the time to run, so that the nps drops by nearly a factor two (50 Elo?).
sure, but let's not forget that you make the evaluation 2x slower, not the engine overall. question is how much time does NNUE eval actually consume, but it's certainly less than 100% overall, so the slowdown will be less than 2x
hgm

Post by hgm »

Agreed. This is why I said 'nearly', but perhaps that was still an overstatement. If you go to very large nets, though, evaluation time will start to dominate.

Why the emphasis on the width of the first hidden layer, btw? It already is the widest layer by far. Why not double the second hidden layer to 64? Or add an extra layer of 32? Or change the topology to include 'skip connections' between more distant layers? Or re-examine the king-piece concept, and repurpose some of the first-layer weights to become (say) pawn-piece tables?

The king-piece concept might be great for learning about King-Safety, but it is ill-suited for many other types of chess knowledge, and can only store that inefficiently. Rather than combatting that inefficiency by just making it very large, it sems better to make it smarter.
chrisw

Post by chrisw »

hgm wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:15 am Agreed. This is why I said 'nearly', but perhaps that was still an overstatement. If you go to very large nets, though, evaluation time will start to dominate.

Why the emphasis on the width of the first hidden layer, btw? It already is the widest layer by far.
Well, exactly, why double the first layer and double the computation time? Seems quite an odd design choice for someone under pressure to come up with a new commercial net on a par with, or improving on SF-NNUE. Which is why I wondered, given the fibbing about much else, if it was a design choice which enabled building on existing performance of SF-NNUE by hidden incorporation of its existing weights.
hgm

Post by hgm »

But you would also be able to do that when doubling the width of the second layer. For every new cell you add anywhere you can take random weights on the output connections and zero weights on the input connections. To make sure they initially do not alter the network output (for lack of input), and that they are not permanently dead. If you want to slip in an extra layer you can use a layer of weights that is all zeros, except for the connection between 'corresponding' cells, which you give weight 1.

BTW, it is by no means proven that this way of expanding on an existing net would be any easier than training it from scretch. The fact that you crammed all thr knowledge of the original learning effort int a smaller net might have led to some over-simplification of that knowledge, which might be hard to eradicate. (Since even the simplified knowledge contributes something, so that the reward for replacing it by more accurate knowledge is lower.)
mar
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Post by mar »

hgm wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:15 am Why the emphasis on the width of the first hidden layer, btw? It already is the widest layer by far. Why not double the second hidden layer to 64? Or add an extra layer of 32? Or change the topology to include 'skip connections' between more distant layers? Or re-examine the king-piece concept, and repurpose some of the first-layer weights to become (say) pawn-piece tables?

The king-piece concept might be great for learning about King-Safety, but it is ill-suited for many other types of chess knowledge, and can only store that inefficiently. Rather than combatting that inefficiency by just making it very large, it sems better to make it smarter.
yes, I believe it would be more interesting to investigate going in the opposite direction and try to build smaller nets and focus on topology/features to see if you can build something on par with NNUE - as a bonus you'd get faster inference and faster training.
so I think there's much to experiment with rather than go brute force with a bigger net
chrisw

Post by chrisw »

hgm wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:51 am But you would also be able to do that when doubling the width of the second layer. For every new cell you add anywhere you can take random weights on the output connections and zero weights on the input connections. To make sure they initially do not alter the network output (for lack of input), and that they are not permanently dead. If you want to slip in an extra layer you can use a layer of weights that is all zeros, except for the connection between 'corresponding' cells, which you give weight 1.

BTW, it is by no means proven that this way of expanding on an existing net would be any easier than training it from scretch.
it’s theoretically clear however. All that’s required is to train at low LR, avoiding regressing. The objective isn’t to “get better”, although that would be nice, it’s to stay the same, whilst appearing to be different.
Training from scratch is a difficult process, you need to make positive advances, and there are many dead ends and non-starters.
Mar results anecdotally show that increasing the size of a mature net (MNIST) and retraining is positive btw. But sure, being smaller and smarter is more appealing way to go.

The fact that you crammed all thr knowledge of the original learning effort int a smaller net might have led to some over-simplification of that knowledge, which might be hard to eradicate. (Since even the simplified knowledge contributes something, so that the reward for replacing it by more accurate knowledge is lower.)
hgm

Post by hgm »

chrisw wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:26 pmit’s theoretically clear however.
I am not aware of any theory (or experiment, for that matter) on this subject. It seems more like a conjecture on your part.