I need your honest advice to help my Grandson

Traditional chess games and chess topics in general

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Chessqueen
Full name: Jorge Picado

I need your honest advice to help my Grandson

Post by Chessqueen »

I was wondering if Chess visualization is more important than solving lots and lots of chess puzzles, in order to improve your own game and make less Blunders. Can somebody give me an expert opinion or advice so I can give it to my 7 years old grandchild. I am definitively NOT a good chess player since my 7 years old is already beating me after 10 months that I introduce him to chess and show him 95% of what I know. It is embarrassing but certain people are more gifted than other, and in the case of my grandson he barely blunders or NOT as much as I do and that is why he is constantly beating me. I am an old FART 64 years old with no further hope to improve anymore, but for my grandson he is gifted, and therefore I need your advice. --->https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSXYUFPuPnc
Russian believe that they are special, that they can Kill thousands of Ukranian civilians, but cry like babies when a few Russian...
Chessqueen

Re: I need your honest advice to help my Grandson

Post by Chessqueen »

Thanks very much to those three persons from this forum that sent me emails giving me recommendations of how to help my grandson to improve in chess. I would gladly paid him to have a chess instructor since I noticed that my grandson is gifted and learn very fast. I also noticed that he has lots of patience which I do NOT have to slowly calculate all the options and observed the entire board before he makes his move selection. I hope that he doesn't lose interest in plying chess in the near future.
Russian believe that they are special, that they can Kill thousands of Ukranian civilians, but cry like babies when a few Russian...
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Visualization is key, and hindered me from exceeding 2000 Elo in over the board play.
I tried to improve my visualization by trying blindfold chess, and by reading through game collections and trying to visualize the analysis given.
However, it might just be a skill that some are better at than others.

In correspondence chess (without computers), I was able to reach close to 2400 Elo, because I didn't have to rely on visualization skills.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Chessqueen

Post by Chessqueen »

Graham Banks wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:17 am Visualization is key, and hindered me from exceeding 2000 Elo in over the board play.
I tried to improve my visualization by trying blindfold chess, and by reading through game collections and trying to visualize the analysis given.

In correspondence chess (without computers), I was able to reach close to 2400 Elo, because I didn't have to rely on visualization skills.
GM Pragg after beating World Champion Ding Liren was interviewed and they asked him why he did soo much pacing while playing the World Champion and he simply answered, I was calculating 8 to 10 moves ahead by visualizing the board. So most of the time that your see top GMs walking around they are visualizing and looking at different variation before they go back and sit on the board
This was recorded when GM Pragg was only 16 years old ==>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF5sSNdmqQc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ere7j6Jbhw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4z0nHxq7GY
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Graham Banks wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:17 am Visualization is key, and hindered me from exceeding 2000 Elo in over the board play.

I cannot play a single game blindfold but it did not prevent me to get a fide rating above 2000 in the past.
I could get better results without better visualization in case of having better knowledge about other aspects of chess.

I do not claim that visualization is not important to get to the top but my guess is that at least you can get fide rating of 2300 without visualization skills that you need to play blindfold.

Note that of course I can calculate some moves forward but if many pieces leave their original squares I have problems to see the position clearly.

I know from experience in teaching chess that there are people with clearly bigger problems in visualization when they cannot see clearly what I can see(at least I have no problem to calculate 2 or 3 moves forward and I also make often longer calculations in OTB games).
Chessqueen

Post by Chessqueen »

Uri Blass wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:01 am

I cannot play a single game blindfold but it did not prevent me to get a fide rating above 2000 in the past.
I could get better results without better visualization in case of having better knowledge about other aspects of chess.

I do not claim that visualization is not important to get to the top but my guess is that at least you can get fide rating of 2300 without visualization skills that you need to play blindfold.

Note that of course I can calculate some moves forward but if many pieces leave their original squares I have problems to see the position clearly.

I know from experience in teaching chess that there are people with clearly bigger problems in visualization when they cannot see clearly what I can see(at least I have no problem to calculate 2 or 3 moves forward and I also make often longer calculations in OTB games).
So when you are calculating a chess position in your head, since you can NOT move any chess pieces while calculating the best outcome of any of your chess move, how can you do it effectively without having a clear picture on your head of the outcome. For instance to be able to see different variations in your mind, you will have to have ths skill of visualization. If I move my Knight to this square his best responce will be to move his Bishop or Knight there or to that squar, then I move my Rook here or there, and his best response will be either to move hie Knight or Rook to these square or to ignore my threat altogeter and instead counterattack and so on and on...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSXYUFPuPnc
Chessqueen

Post by Chessqueen »

Chessqueen wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:49 pm

So when you are calculating a chess position in your head, since you can NOT move any chess pieces while calculating the best outcome of any of your chess move, how can you do it effectively without having a clear picture on your head of the outcome. For instance to be able to see different variations in your mind, you will have to have ths skill of visualization. If I move my Knight to this square his best responce will be to move his Bishop or Knight there or to that squar, then I move my Rook here or there, and his best response will be either to move hie Knight or Rook to these square or to ignore my threat altogeter and instead counterattack and so on and on...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSXYUFPuPnc
Most indian young prodigies have already mastered this technique of visualization https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo_fX92auPM

They should have the top 14 grandmasters playing Blindfolded like in this case, I wonder who is the highest rated player playing Blindfold https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PovmuVPqtk8
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

I can calculate but I have some limits. I try to focus in short lines and not in long lines.

if I need to see tactics some moves after the root position then if it is something like 3 moves after the root position then it may take me more time but I am able to see it after repeating the moves again in my head.

If it is too far from the root I practically cannot see things in games.
Chessqueen

Post by Chessqueen »

Uri Blass wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:21 pm

I can calculate but I have some limits. I try to focus in short lines and not in long lines.

if I need to see tactics some moves after the root position then if it is something like 3 moves after the root position then it may take me more time but I am able to see it after repeating the moves again in my head.

They should have a Tata steel Blindfolded championship in the future, who do You believe will become the Winner; Well I put my Money on Carlsen ===> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PovmuVPqtk8
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Chessqueen wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:06 am
Uri Blass wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:21 pm

They should have a Tata steel Blindfolded championship in the future, who do You believe will become the Winner; Well I put my Money on Carlsen ===> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PovmuVPqtk8
I believe that for top players there is no difference between blindfold and not blindfold.

The best player in chess is going to win in this case.