New forum

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: New forum

Post by hgm »

As you all noticed, we are running without CloudFlare now. I would really like to keep it that way, because it seemed the CloudFlare interference caused many troubles, from frequent logouts to loss of forum formatting, and anoying tickboxes that sometimes looped forever. And they charge money for that too! :x

But this is not without risk; the reason that ChessUSA involved CloudFlare (or locked out entire countries by IP) was as protection against crashes suspected to be the result of DDoS attacks. We yet have to prove that in our new setup we can stave off or survive such attacks. And if initially not, try to harden our defenses. Now that we have access to the server logs, it should be possible to do post-mortem analysis of any crashes we might suffer, and learn from it how to arm ourselves against the events that caused the crash.

Anyway, let me share some info on where we are now. We are running on a VPS rented from strato.nl, but I think Strato is really a German company, and the actual server might be in Germany. The specs of the VPS (Linux VC4-8) are:

* 4 virtual CPUs (= hyper threads)
* 8 GB RAM
* 300 GB NVMe (SSD)
* up to 1Gbit/s bandwidth

Operating system is Ubuntu 22.04, on which we run an Apache 2 server, MariaDB database, PHP and phpBB 3.3.11.

Since the entire TalkChess database is only about 2.2GB, it can be entirely and permanently cached in RAM. There is also room for many backups in the permanent storage.

Chess diagrams through fen tags and a game viewer through pgn tags are implemented client-side, through JavaScript programs that are now hosted on our own server. These programs would normally reside in the cache of your browser, and scan every forum page you view for the occurrence of such tags, and replace their content with the requested graphics.

The subscription includes a single SSL certificate, which we can use to make the talkchess.com domain https rather than http. We still have to install that, and for the time being we have installed a 'self-signed' certificate as placeholder.
phhnguyen
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham

Post by phhnguyen »

Just a curious question: who owns talkchess.com domain name at the moment?
https://banksiagui.com
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

The domain name is currently controlled by the Dutch Computer Chess Association (CSVN), a legal entity under Dutch law. There is a private contract between them on the one hand, and the "Founder Group" (mentioned to consist of Ed, Chris Whittington and I) on the other, which stipulates that they have to relinguish that control if we ask them, and transfer control to a party of our choice. The agreement could also be terminated on their request when we do not reach an agreement on how to run the forum without becoming a legal liability to the CSVN.

I suppose the text of this agreement should be published in the sticky thread of the charter.

The rental contract for the VPS with Strato is currently under my name. In my 'client account' at strato.nl I have access to a control panel where I can stop or reboot the VPS, reinitialize it with a new OS, and a control panel to login. I shared the root password with Ed and Srdja. We have not really gotten to organizing the access to that machine (i.e. create personal accounts for the various users that should have access, or put them on a sudo list).
smatovic
Full name: Srdja Matovic

Post by smatovic »

domain ownership
https://talkchess.com/viewtopic.php?p=959283

Nice one!

Thx @Founders Group: Ed, Chris, Harm, @CSVN, @ChessUSA and @the donators for making this move possible.

--
Srdja
phhnguyen
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham

Post by phhnguyen »

Thanks all for the information and efforts. Look like the forum now is in the permanent safe hands. Thanks ChessUSA for being fair and kindness!
https://banksiagui.com
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

Het ziet er prachtig uit! It looks great! Thanks guys! Thanks to everyone who made the transition possible!
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you
are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
-- Brian W. Kernighan
kasinp
Full name: Peter Kasinski

Post by kasinp »

Thanks guys! Nicely done :)
Peter
Vinvin
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Post by Vinvin »

Thank You !!! 8-)