Moderator Elections

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

User avatar
hgm
Posts: 27896
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:06 am
Location: Amsterdam
Full name: H G Muller

Re: Moderator Elections

Post by hgm »

In general elections are never anonymous in this respect; it can be seen who enters the voting booth.

But this can be remedied by making declining from voting one of the options one can select. Then people who want to keep it a secret whether the voted or not can register, and still have the option to vote or not.
AndrewGrant
Posts: 1809
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:08 am
Location: U.S.A
Full name: Andrew Grant

Re: Moderator Elections

Post by AndrewGrant »

I had expressed interest about running for moderator about a year ago, but would like to withdraw that interest.

Talkchess has been overtaken by low effort posters for a very long time now, to the point where the vast majority of developers, and even a chunk of the general hobbyists, have left. To actually start moderating talkchess now would most likely be the final blow, as once you remove the garbage posts there won't be much left. Which means if I was a moderator, and I had my way, I would gamble between a high chance of forum-death, and a low chance of revival.
Friendly reminder that stealing is a crime, is wrong, and makes you a thief.
"Those who can't do, clone instead" - Eduard ( A real life friend, not this forum's Eduard )
User avatar
Graham Banks
Posts: 41818
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:52 am
Location: Auckland, NZ

Re: Moderator Elections

Post by Graham Banks »

AndrewGrant wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:40 pm I had expressed interest about running for moderator about a year ago, but would like to withdraw that interest.

Talkchess has been overtaken by low effort posters for a very long time now, to the point where the vast majority of developers, and even a chunk of the general hobbyists, have left. To actually start moderating talkchess now would most likely be the final blow, as once you remove the garbage posts there won't be much left. Which means if I was a moderator, and I had my way, I would gamble between a high chance of forum-death, and a low chance of revival.
I think that it would be best if there was a thread titled, "Stockfish derivative engines", and then all of the muck about those could be kept in one place.

When you start to clean up a forum and put certain posters on notice, I'm sure you'll find that many of the higher quality members might return.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
User avatar
Rebel
Posts: 7032
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:04 pm
Full name: Ed Schröder

Re: Moderator Elections

Post by Rebel »

AndrewGrant wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:40 pm I had expressed interest about running for moderator about a year ago, but would like to withdraw that interest.

Talkchess has been overtaken by low effort posters for a very long time now, to the point where the vast majority of developers, and even a chunk of the general hobbyists, have left. To actually start moderating talkchess now would most likely be the final blow, as once you remove the garbage posts there won't be much left. Which means if I was a moderator, and I had my way, I would gamble between a high chance of forum-death, and a low chance of revival.
Well, now that the forum is in good shape again it might be an idea to reconsider. Discord is a chat channel and valuable posts are swallowed up in the mass and hard to find with its search function. My reason why I seldom login on Discord. If there is interest enough we can open a new sub forum called NNUE programming where programmers can talk about NNUE only with all the benefits a forum has in comparison with a chat forum.
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.
AndrewGrant
Posts: 1809
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:08 am
Location: U.S.A
Full name: Andrew Grant

Re: Moderator Elections

Post by AndrewGrant »

Rebel wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:40 pm
AndrewGrant wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:40 pm I had expressed interest about running for moderator about a year ago, but would like to withdraw that interest.

Talkchess has been overtaken by low effort posters for a very long time now, to the point where the vast majority of developers, and even a chunk of the general hobbyists, have left. To actually start moderating talkchess now would most likely be the final blow, as once you remove the garbage posts there won't be much left. Which means if I was a moderator, and I had my way, I would gamble between a high chance of forum-death, and a low chance of revival.
Well, now that the forum is in good shape again it might be an idea to reconsider
Oh, you banned ChessQueen finally?
Friendly reminder that stealing is a crime, is wrong, and makes you a thief.
"Those who can't do, clone instead" - Eduard ( A real life friend, not this forum's Eduard )
User avatar
Rebel
Posts: 7032
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:04 pm
Full name: Ed Schröder

Re: Moderator Elections

Post by Rebel »

How constructive of you.
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.
AndrewGrant
Posts: 1809
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:08 am
Location: U.S.A
Full name: Andrew Grant

Re: Moderator Elections

Post by AndrewGrant »

Rebel wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:40 pm How constructive of you.
Moderators taking action against the most pervasive troll on the forum would indeed be constructive. Personally, I don't care, as I don't see ChessQueen posts anymore.

Perhaps the solution to lack of moderation is an open source maintained list of trolls by the community, and the corresponding browser scripts to remove all of their posts. Free market solution to moderator inaction.
Friendly reminder that stealing is a crime, is wrong, and makes you a thief.
"Those who can't do, clone instead" - Eduard ( A real life friend, not this forum's Eduard )
chrisw
Posts: 4346
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:28 pm

Re: Moderator Elections

Post by chrisw »

Andrew,

Since the founders group recovered the forum and then started moderating a few days ago, there have been two complaints from members, one of which resulted in a ban. A second ban was down to the real name policy. Chessqueen was not mentioned and a scan of his posts over the last few days shows nothing wrong. It is not our (FG) intention to come in here nuking posters for past transgressions, or taking sides in prior wars.
If I’m wrong and there is a recent moderatable chessqueen post or you think he is posting under another name, please flag it up and we’ll take a look at it.

Chris Whittington
User avatar
mclane
Posts: 18769
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: US of Europe, germany
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Re: Moderator Elections

Post by mclane »

Graham Banks wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:44 pm
AndrewGrant wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:40 pm I had expressed interest about running for moderator about a year ago, but would like to withdraw that interest.

Talkchess has been overtaken by low effort posters for a very long time now, to the point where the vast majority of developers, and even a chunk of the general hobbyists, have left. To actually start moderating talkchess now would most likely be the final blow, as once you remove the garbage posts there won't be much left. Which means if I was a moderator, and I had my way, I would gamble between a high chance of forum-death, and a low chance of revival.
I think that it would be best if there was a thread titled, "Stockfish derivative engines", and then all of the muck about those could be kept in one place.

When you start to clean up a forum and put certain posters on notice, I'm sure you'll find that many of the higher quality members might return.


100 agree. A playground for the stockfish freaks and the rest of the forum can continue as usual.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
Modern Times
Posts: 3560
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:02 pm

Re: Moderator Elections

Post by Modern Times »

AndrewGrant wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:40 pm I had expressed interest about running for moderator about a year ago, but would like to withdraw that
Wise decision, best that you focus your time on Torch and Ethereal.