Patricia 2.0 - likely the most aggressive chess engine ever made

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

User avatar
Rebel
Posts: 7025
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:04 pm
Full name: Ed Schröder

Re: Patricia 2.0 - likely the most aggressive chess engine ever made

Post by Rebel »

Whiskers wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:45 amI've played against the same 6 engines throughout almost all of Patricia's development (round robin with each engine playing 3000 games).
The bold is mine.

Gauntlet would be a different story.

Correct?
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.
User avatar
Whiskers
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:34 pm
Full name: Adam Kulju

Re: Patricia 2.0 - likely the most aggressive chess engine ever made

Post by Whiskers »

Rebel wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:16 am
Whiskers wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:45 amI've played against the same 6 engines throughout almost all of Patricia's development (round robin with each engine playing 3000 games).
The bold is mine.

Gauntlet would be a different story.

Correct?
Yes, sorry, these tests were all round robins; every engine played 3000 games (enough to get the EAS score down to +- 10k, which is good enough for my purposes) split evenly across all engines. I switched to gauntlets after self testing started giving me very suspicious results.
User avatar
Rebel
Posts: 7025
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:04 pm
Full name: Ed Schröder

Re: Patricia 2.0 - likely the most aggressive chess engine ever made

Post by Rebel »

Whiskers wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:19 am
Rebel wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:16 am
Whiskers wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:45 amI've played against the same 6 engines throughout almost all of Patricia's development (round robin with each engine playing 3000 games).
The bold is mine.

Gauntlet would be a different story.

Correct?
Yes, sorry, these tests were all round robins; every engine played 3000 games (enough to get the EAS score down to +- 10k, which is good enough for my purposes) split evenly across all engines. I switched to gauntlets after self testing started giving me very suspicious results.
1. When I create an elo pool 200 elo less than Rebel, run a robin round the EAS score will be extremely high.

2. When I create an elo pool 200 elo less than Rebel, run the gauntlet the EAS score likely will be also extremely high but all the opponents have to struggle to get the minimum requirement of won games and draws and are blacklisted by the EAS tool.

So please, choose an elo pool of Patricia's current strength and run the gauntlet.
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.
User avatar
Whiskers
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:34 pm
Full name: Adam Kulju

Re: Patricia 2.0 - likely the most aggressive chess engine ever made

Post by Whiskers »

A gauntlet? Or a round-robin?
Werewolf
Posts: 1814
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:24 pm

Re: Patricia 2.0 - likely the most aggressive chess engine ever made

Post by Werewolf »

Is that Rabbit from Watership Down?

My goodness, that thing is terrifying.
User avatar
Rebel
Posts: 7025
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:04 pm
Full name: Ed Schröder

Re: Patricia 2.0 - likely the most aggressive chess engine ever made

Post by Rebel »

Werewolf wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:34 am Is that Rabbit from Watership Down?

My goodness, that thing is terrifying.
The EAS tool is great if you understand its limitations. It's not perfect but it is very useful if you want to tune your (NNUE) engine.
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.
User avatar
Rebel
Posts: 7025
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:04 pm
Full name: Ed Schröder

Re: Patricia 2.0 - likely the most aggressive chess engine ever made

Post by Rebel »

Whiskers wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:53 am A gauntlet? Or a round-robin?
I only use gauntlet and make sure no opponent engine gets blacklisted. An easy way to do is to collect the pgns, the more games, the more reliable the result. 20.000 games is my minimum.
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.
Archimedes
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:43 pm
Full name: Archimedes

Re: Patricia 2.0 - likely the most aggressive chess engine ever made

Post by Archimedes »

In case anyone is interested in an Android version.

Patricia 2.0 for Android:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/chess- ... p/download

Patricia 2.0 for Android (OEX):
https://sourceforge.net/projects/chess- ... k/download
BrendanJNorman
Posts: 2557
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:43 am
Full name: Brendan J Norman

Re: Patricia 2.0 - likely the most aggressive chess engine ever made

Post by BrendanJNorman »

Archimedes wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:50 pm In case anyone is interested in an Android version.

Patricia 2.0 for Android:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/chess- ... p/download

Patricia 2.0 for Android (OEX):
https://sourceforge.net/projects/chess- ... k/download
Absolutely love your work, my friend.

Do you have an OEX version of Pedone 3.0 for Android?
jorose
Posts: 363
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:21 pm
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
Full name: Jonathan Rosenthal

Re: Patricia 2.0 - likely the most aggressive chess engine ever made

Post by jorose »

Great work, I really like the games you shared as well! Now I need to run some more Wintempt - Patricia games :D
-Jonathan