Banksia GUI released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderator: Ras

User avatar
phhnguyen
Posts: 1543
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:58 am
Location: Australia
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by phhnguyen »

Rom77 wrote: ↑Sun May 03, 2020 5:16 am phhnguyen, hope I'm not too annoying. Banksia is now quite suitable for my tournaments, but there are some points that can be improved.
Thanks a lot for your report. Any idea, report, feedback is always useful. They make BSG be better, help both developers and users. All are always more than welcome :D
Rom77 wrote: ↑Sun May 03, 2020 5:16 am 1. It seems that I have one more problem related to languages. The file "logengins.txt" is not created if the path to it contains Russian letters. At the same time, both other files - "tourgames.pgn" and "logresults.txt" are created and written normally when using any path. I did not check the "logengins.txt" file entry before, but now I decided to check it, and here is such a surprise. Of course, I can place this file in a directory whose path contains only Latin characters, but maybe there is a simple solution to the problem, which will not be difficult for you to implement?

As I understand it, "logengins.txt" is the only file out of three that is recorded during the game. Maybe this is the source of the problem? Unfortunately, this file is not recorded even after the end of the game. In addition, the path to all three files in JSON still looks strange: "path": C:/u0417/u0430/u0433/u0440/u0443/u0437/u043a/u0438/Chess/BanksiaGui/Tests/logengins.txt "

2. Awarding the victory in the game occurs for twice as many half-moves as specified in the settings. For example, I have set the victory award ("Resign by engine scores") when exceeding the "Score threshold" -800 cp for 6 ply "Two sides", but the game is awarded after 12 ply on both sides. It is right?
Can you post the end of those games here to verify? If BSG works correctly, it should rule the games based on 6 half-moves of each side, 6 full-moves, or 12 plies in total.
Rom77 wrote: ↑Sun May 03, 2020 5:16 am 3. Windows => About => Auto check for newer versions
This position is restored after each restart of the GUI. But it should not be so. Otherwise, this option does not make sense.

4. When switching between game tabs in a tournament, the "Score graph" window is not immediately updated. First you have to go to the next tab/window "Engine log", then go back to the tab/window "Score graph", which only then will be updated.

5. The "Score indicator" next to the board is not too sensitive to small changes in the score. It moves noticeably only when the situation on the board is almost hopeless. This is not very convenient.
Score indicator works based on the current score of the engine that is in turn. Some engines may delay printing out scores or print out incorrect scores (in terms of overall situations), especially in hard cases.

You and/or anyone has ideas to improve? Should we use the average score of two sides or last several ones?
Rom77 wrote: ↑Sun May 03, 2020 5:16 am 6. If during the tournament you often call up the "Show all plaing games" window, it will appear lower and lower each time. As a result, you need to constantly raise it up. It would be nice to somehow stabilize this window.

7. Maybe in the "logresults.txt" file it would be better to separate tournaments that go one after another? It is also useful to enter additional information about the tournament. For example, after "Tournamemt finished! Elapsed: 1:26:51" and the start of the next tournament, enter an empty line, and then something like this:
"Tournamemt started! Date 2020.05.01, 10:45:00, Time Control 8400 + 40."
All other bugs will be fixed soon. Thanks again
https://banksiagui.com
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
User avatar
phhnguyen
Posts: 1543
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:58 am
Location: Australia
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by phhnguyen »

Graham Banks wrote: ↑Sun May 03, 2020 6:54 am Just found out we have a Banksia tree in our backyard. It has white flowers.
Oh, I see, you live in NZ, quite close to me :)
Perhaps I have never seen a white one. In my area, there are so many Banksia trees (the suburb next to us is called Banksia) but they all are red flowers.
https://banksiagui.com
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
User avatar
phhnguyen
Posts: 1543
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:58 am
Location: Australia
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by phhnguyen »

silitho wrote: ↑Sun May 03, 2020 11:52 am Hi, I started working on a German language package.
The sources can be found here: https://github.com/silitho/BanksiaGUI-Translation
Any support is welcome.
Thanks a lot for your work!

Do you mind to let me publish it with BSG and on my website?
https://banksiagui.com
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
User avatar
phhnguyen
Posts: 1543
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:58 am
Location: Australia
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by phhnguyen »

To BSG Translators:

BSG is still in the period of intensive/quick development. It changes, updates the interface almost every version. Please help us and other users by frequently check and update the translations then send (both translation source .ts and .qm files) us or tell us where and when the new translation update available.

Thanks all!
https://banksiagui.com
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
Rom77
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:37 am
Full name: Roman Zhukov

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by Rom77 »

phhnguyen wrote: ↑Tue May 05, 2020 1:04 pm
Rom77 wrote: ↑Sun May 03, 2020 5:16 am 2. Awarding the victory in the game occurs for twice as many half-moves as specified in the settings. For example, I have set the victory award ("Resign by engine scores") when exceeding the "Score threshold" -800 cp for 6 ply "Two sides", but the game is awarded after 12 ply on both sides. It is right?
Can you post the end of those games here to verify? If BSG works correctly, it should rule the games based on 6 half-moves of each side, 6 full-moves, or 12 plies in total.
OK, I get it, BSG works as you intended. Setting "Ply range: 6" for "Two sides" means "6 half-moves of each side, 6 full-moves, or 12 plies in total".

phhnguyen wrote: ↑Tue May 05, 2020 1:04 pm
Rom77 wrote: ↑Sun May 03, 2020 5:16 am 5. The "Score indicator" next to the board is not too sensitive to small changes in the score. It moves noticeably only when the situation on the board is almost hopeless. This is not very convenient.
Score indicator works based on the current score of the engine that is in turn. Some engines may delay printing out scores or print out incorrect scores (in terms of overall situations), especially in hard cases.

You and/or anyone has ideas to improve? Should we use the average score of two sides or last several ones?
I guess I did not quite express myself clearly. I assumed that it would be nice to limit the range of scores for the “Score indicator”, for example, from -4 to +4, as on chess24.com. Then small changes in the position evalution will be visible. Now, when the range of position evaluation is changing from -10 to +10, the change even by +0.5 is practically not noticeable.

It seems that I have no problems with the engines. All engines behave the same. According to the options for generating the "Score indicator" value that you offer, I do not yet know which option I like more.
silitho
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri May 01, 2020 10:44 am
Location: Germany
Full name: Silitho Danuur

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by silitho »

phhnguyen wrote: ↑Tue May 05, 2020 1:38 pm Do you mind to let me publish it with BSG and on my website?
Of course, you can publish it with BSG and on your website.
But at the moment the language package is still work in progress (translated 981/4095 words).

Btw. before I registered in this forum I sent you an email to your gmail address with some
tips, suggestions, possible bugs regarding BanksiaGUI. Did you receive this email?

And one more point ... Every time I start Crafty in BanksiaGUI, it breaks after the
first move. The engine log says:

Code: Select all

"banksia> Illegal move c5 from Crafty-25.3"
No matter which move, it is always illegal. When I use Crafty on the command line,
then it works normally. I suspect the problem is with BanksiaGUI. Can you have a look at this?
User avatar
phhnguyen
Posts: 1543
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:58 am
Location: Australia
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by phhnguyen »

silitho wrote: ↑Wed May 06, 2020 8:46 pm
phhnguyen wrote: ↑Tue May 05, 2020 1:38 pm Do you mind to let me publish it with BSG and on my website?
Of course, you can publish it with BSG and on your website.
But at the moment the language package is still work in progress (translated 981/4095 words).

Btw. before I registered in this forum I sent you an email to your gmail address with some
tips, suggestions, possible bugs regarding BanksiaGUI. Did you receive this email?
Thanks a lot for your help. I have got your email. Sorry for being late! (I didn't check that email frequently).
silitho wrote: ↑Wed May 06, 2020 8:46 pm And one more point ... Every time I start Crafty in BanksiaGUI, it breaks after the
first move. The engine log says:

Code: Select all

"banksia> Illegal move c5 from Crafty-25.3"
No matter which move, it is always illegal. When I use Crafty on the command line,
then it works normally. I suspect the problem is with BanksiaGUI. Can you have a look at this?
Thanks again for the bug report (it is a new bug from the last version). It has been fixed for the new release.
https://banksiagui.com
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
User avatar
phhnguyen
Posts: 1543
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:58 am
Location: Australia
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham

Version 0.24 beta released

Post by phhnguyen »

Version 0.24 beta released

* Fixed bugs: almost all known bugs, such as wrongly recognized moves from Winboard engines
* Some small improvements/adjustments: such as parsing new stats from LcZero
https://banksiagui.com
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
User avatar
AdminX
Posts: 6401
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:34 pm
Location: Acworth, GA

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by AdminX »

Question: Do you have any plans to bring back Lichess Bots?

Thanks for the updates! :D
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."
__________________________________________________________________
Ted Summers
User avatar
phhnguyen
Posts: 1543
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:58 am
Location: Australia
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham

Re: Banksia GUI released

Post by phhnguyen »

AdminX wrote: ↑Fri May 08, 2020 1:33 pm Question: Do you have any plans to bring back Lichess Bots?

Thanks for the updates! :D
Yes, I have been working on it!

It turned out it is a bug from Lichess and has just been fixed (my bug report: https://github.com/ornicar/lila/issues/6423). According to Lichess, the fix will be deployed to their servers within a few days. I am going to test and if it is OK, I will add it (functions for Lichess Bots) back to the next version.

Thanks all for being patient :D
https://banksiagui.com
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager