Other possibilities using book files or the like

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Denis P. Mendoza

Other possibilities using book files or the like

Post by Denis P. Mendoza »

I've learned how to use two opening books(*.bin books) using polyglot. But is there other possible ways of using multiple external opening book files (say 10 -20 books of the same format). An old software TI-Chess (chess playing game for the TI89/TI92p/V200 ) has an option to use about 20 book files. Is it feasible to have this option in any GUI or chess engine utility? This is just a wild query with negative and positive thoughts. I just want to hear an experts opinion on this.
Marc MP

Re: Other possibilities using book files or the like

Post by Marc MP »

I think you can do that with chesspartner. There is a free trial on lokasoft web site if you want to verify it.
Denis P. Mendoza

Post by Denis P. Mendoza »

Marc MP wrote:I think you can do that with chesspartner. There is a free trial on lokasoft web site if you want to verify it.
I still have my Chesspartner 5.4 here on my PC, and you're practically right. Silly of me, I didn't care to read the help files. Winboard and Arena are usually what I preferred to use for testing (but not lately). I'll spend some time with this info. Thanks.

I hope polyglot/engine/other GUI option could make use of multiple (2+)opening books as an added feature. With Pavel Hase making polyglot and other book formats like pie, why not make use of it (Lol!). Just kidding.
Rubinus
Full name: Pavel Háse

Post by Rubinus »

Denis P. Mendoza wrote:I hope polyglot/engine/other GUI option could make use of multiple (2+)opening books as an added feature. With Pavel Hase making polyglot and other book formats like pie, why not make use of it (Lol!). Just kidding.
:D
But ph-book.bin, toga-ph-book.bin, fruit-ph-book.bin, loop-ph-book.bin and ph-variedbook.bin -> like books!, only other likelinnes first cca 16 halvmoves.
ph-gambitbook.bin -> gambit likeliness+gambit database + ph-book.
ph-exoticbook.bin -> exotic likelinnes + exotic database + ph-book + ph-gambitbook.