Deep Sjeng 2.5 has arrived!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Deep Sjeng 2.5 has arrived!

Post by Eelco de Groot »

Some people here already knew it was coming, but now the new program from Gian-Carlo Pascutto is here:

http://www.sjeng.org/deepsjeng2.html

There is a free 30 trial version available. I just installed it. Deep Sjeng comes with its own interface, that will be a feature approved by Fernando. Deep Sjeng was always strong in tactics, was one of the first multiprocessor capable PC-programs and has a lot of tuning possibilities and personality options, so that is interesting too! Pricing is certainly reasonable for a multi-processor capable program

Screenshot of Deep Sjeng 2.5 in Analysis Mode

Eelco
Kaj Soderberg

Re: Deep Sjeng 2.5 has arrived!

Post by Kaj Soderberg »

Very nice, DS definitely interests me.

But first of all salutations to GCP and his team!

Nice too to bring a new interface.

I wonder if i can choose to use only one processor core on my dual-core, so that i can run two games parallel with DS. Would this be possible?

Best regards,

Kaj
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

Kaj Soderberg wrote:Very nice, DS definitely interests me.

But first of all salutations to GCP and his team!

Nice too to bring a new interface.

I wonder if i can choose to use only one processor core on my dual-core, so that i can run two games parallel with DS. Would this be possible?

Best regards,

Kaj
Hello Kaj, no member of Deep Sjeng team but I think you could just try it out if you download the 30 days trial version. I think in principle it is possible to launch two copies of the interface and play two parallel games. The number of processors used by Deep Sjeng can be set in the engine options.

But note that for running engine-engine games, Deep Sjeng has to be installed as an UCI engine in another interface, for instance in Shredder or Arena. Launching two copies of the interface should make it possible to run two matches or tournaments in parallel, I can't test it as I don't have a dual core machine but I've read it is possible at least to play two tournaments in parallel with Arena.

Regards, Eelco
Kaj Soderberg

Post by Kaj Soderberg »

Hello Kaj, no member of Deep Sjeng team but I think you could just try it out if you download the 30 days trial version. I think in principle it is possible to launch two copies of the interface and play two parallel games. The number of processors used by Deep Sjeng can be set in the engine options.

But note that for running engine-engine games, Deep Sjeng has to be installed as an UCI engine in another interface, for instance in Shredder or Arena. Launching two copies of the interface should make it possible to run two matches or tournaments in parallel, I can't test it as I don't have a dual core machine but I've read it is possible at least to play two tournaments in parallel with Arena.

Regards, Eelco[/quote]

Hi Eelco,

Thank you for the info. Good to hear that i can choose, in the engine options, how many cores i want to use at a given time. I'll download it in the weekend and start enjoying!

Best regards,

Kaj