Is it time to make chess tiger free engine

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

eriq

Is it time to make chess tiger free engine

Post by eriq »

unless chess tiger can make another 100 pt. leap, perhaps it is time to retire and live the good life like ed. He was one of the wisest of all, first he retires then improved an already great engine, allowed others, his code, and is now immortalized as an icon in computer chess history.

Chess tiger could do the same, but better by doing all of those things but adding a linux binary as well. Let's face facts any more improvements would take months of work this is time wasted away from family, child, which is more important ask yourself and even if you could do it ct would still lose to rybka or zap or hiarcs or shredder or fritz.

maybe it is time to just let go.
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Re: Is it time to make chess tiger free engine

Post by mclane »

is this a satire ?!
Erik Roggenburg

Post by Erik Roggenburg »

Ano?!
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

eriq wrote:unless chess tiger can make another 100 pt. leap, perhaps it is time to retire and live the good life like ed. He was one of the wisest of all, first he retires then improved an already great engine, allowed others, his code, and is now immortalized as an icon in computer chess history.

Chess tiger could do the same, but better by doing all of those things but adding a linux binary as well. Let's face facts any more improvements would take months of work this is time wasted away from family, child, which is more important ask yourself and even if you could do it ct would still lose to rybka or zap or hiarcs or shredder or fritz.

playing strength is not relevant.
If there are people who buy chess tiger then I see no reason to make it free.

Maybe it is time to make other programs commercial.
There is no reason that every new version is going to be free.

I think that it is better if people like Thomas Gaksch start to make money from their work when most of the money goes to fabien.

It can give motivation for programmers to try to improve fruit and give us better engines.

The only question is if it is legal to do it without releasing the source assuming that fabien agree to it but if it is legal that fabien makes money from changing fruit without releasing the source then I see no reason to think that it is illegal that other people make money assuming that there is no objection from fabien because he will also get money.

Uri
NKOTB

Post by NKOTB »

while I appreciate that family is more important, one still has to make a living. It is improper to demand engines be free in this forum. No one asks me (or you) to work for free, why should we ask someone else too?
I am a Chess Tiger customer and am very happy with it.
Daniel Mehrmann
Full name: Daniel Mehrmann

Post by Daniel Mehrmann »

mclane wrote:is this a satire ?!
It must be !
Otherwhise, well, i find no words for this ..... :roll:
Its a shame to read such stuff by a user :evil:

Best,
Daniel
mclane

Post by mclane »

to bring this topic into something more useful i would like to ask you, what interesting stuff you could tell me about latest homer.

i am not up to date with my data.
how is homer going on ?
Alessandro Scotti

Post by Alessandro Scotti »

Uri Blass wrote:The only question is if it is legal to do it without releasing the source assuming that fabien agree to it but if it is legal that fabien makes money from changing fruit without releasing the source then I see no reason to think that it is illegal that other people make money assuming that there is no objection from fabien because he will also get money.
Hi Uri,
the situation of Fabien is of course different because he is the author and only owner of the Fruit code. Thus, he is the only one who can do anything he wishes with it.
One of the things he did, is to allow others to use that code provided some conditions are met. More specifically, he allowed others to "license" the code at the conditions specified in the GPL.
Since GPL requires that all modifications to source are made public, there is no way around this unless Fabien grants (to everyone or a single person) another kind of license, something he can always do since the original code remains his own. So in your scenario "no objection" would not be enough, explicit permission is needed.
Kaj Soderberg

Post by Kaj Soderberg »

eriq wrote:unless chess tiger can make another 100 pt. leap, perhaps it is time to retire and live the good life like ed. He was one of the wisest of all, first he retires then improved an already great engine, allowed others, his code, and is now immortalized as an icon in computer chess history.

What nonsense do i read above. Every engine is different, and the differences in approach to the game and to certain kinds of positions makes chess (engines) interesting. Chess Tiger certainly has it's own style, which sometimes is quite unorthodox but effective. What playing strength is concerned, we can conclude that CT has made a jump forward after a period of something like semi-retirement. The engine is being further improved, and we do not know how far Christophe can get. So let us enjoy the diversity of engines and accept that the competition is always in movement. And last but not least, competitors of all calibers in every discipline have a right to make a living.

Anyway, i'm a happy CT customer and enjoying it's playing style that i would not want to miss for the world.

Best regards,

Kaj
mclane

Post by mclane »

i see it the same. due to private reasons christophe had done a sabbatical year.

now he is back. no reason to completely resign from anything.