Do you have an MP or 64-bit PC?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Which PCs do you regularly use for chess engines?

Poll ended at Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:56 pm

32-bit OS
26%
32-bit OS MP
24%
64-bit OS
7%
64-bit OS MP
43%

Total votes: 97

AGove

Do you have an MP or 64-bit PC?

Post by AGove »

I've seen assumptions here and elsewhere that "everyone" nowadays has an MP (multi-processor as opposed to SP single processor) computer or one with a 64-bit OS (operating system). Let's find out!
MikeB

Re: Do you have an MP or 64-bit PC?

Post by MikeB »

AGove wrote:I've seen assumptions here and elsewhere that "everyone" nowadays has an MP (multi-processor as opposed to SP single processor) computer or one with a 64-bit OS (operating system). Let's find out!

Good poll - thanks!

best,

Michael B
jdart

Post by jdart »

Is "all of the above" an option? I have a dual processor dual boot system (Win XP 64 and Ubuntu/64 bit), a dual core machine (currently XP only), and a dual boot single processor 32-bit system (Fedora/XP).
AGove

Post by AGove »

Jon, You can vote for one, two, three or all four - if you regularly use the one, two, three or all four for chess engines.
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

I think you should have made the poll to see who has 64bit MP system. Most people (if not all) that have 64bit OS will also have a 32bit OS.
Michael Sherwin
Full name: Michael Sherwin

Post by Michael Sherwin »

Most of the people here are enthusiast and would tend to upgrade more quickly than the general population. The results of this poll will be skewed in favor of more powerful machine by quite a large factor.

You should conduct this poll in the programming forum as well. I believe that you will see different stats.

Congrats on the number of responces!
If you are on a sidewalk and the covid goes beep beep
Just step aside or you might have a bit of heat
Covid covid runs through the town all day
Can the people ever change their ways
Sherwin the covid's after you
Sherwin if it catches you you're through
AGove

Post by AGove »

I think you should have made the poll to see who has 64bit MP system. Most people (if not all) that have 64bit OS will also have a 32bit OS.
We can have such a poll later. Bear in mind that my question wasn't whether people had a certain OS but whether they regularly used it for chess engines. Anyway, most people voted for just one option.
AGove

Post by AGove »

So, only a quarter of the respondents regularly use a single processor 32-bit OS for chess engines. Hm.
cooldalek

Post by cooldalek »

AGove wrote:So, only a quarter of the respondents regularly use a single processor 32-bit OS for chess engines. Hm.
Only a quarter is actually quite a lot. It was the second highest on your list! And you have to bear in mind that "MOST" people that have a chess program to analyse their games won't even know CCC exists. They'll just but Fritz 10 from their local shop. And they'll mainly have a 32bit single processor.

So your pooll, while interesting, is only representative of computer chess enthusiasts. It is not representative of people who own chess engines