TalkChess is Dangerous

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Frayer

TalkChess is Dangerous

Post by Frayer »

I have been a computer chess hobbyist for nearly 30 years, but I have never seen anything like this place. Although, aware of the TalkChess forum for many years only a few days ago did I make my first post here. Dr. Wael Deeb had posted a few words I had written over at the Rybka forum, and I wished to make some clarifications.

While over here I happened to notice a post by an American player who is known to me, Franklin T. Seeing that he was complaining about receiving a suspension on the PlayChess server and having witnessed the incident, I spoke on his behalf. I did use some colorful language (not vulgar or crude) but apparently politically inappropriate. (my entire post was removed because one word was deemed objectionable) What I did not expect was to receive threatening emails in response to what I wrote.

This is an example: (but not the only one)

Sent: Thursday, December 03, 2009 4:37 PM
To: kevinfrayer@xxxxx.net
Cc: Lieske, Holger ; Williamson, Harvey
Subject: Your Talkchess Post re: Franklin T.

Kevin,

I have read (and saved) your post from earlier on Talkchess.com (that is now deleted) regarding Holger and Frankin T. Btw, don't ask me how or why it was deleted as I have no clue, except to say, your insults of Holger were unwarranted and way, way "beyond the pale."

Let me also say you do not have a complete understanding of this incident. Were you here every day maybe you would. So it is very inappropriate for you to stick your nose in some incident where it does not belong, as you do not have all the facts.
If you wanted "the simple truth" you could have had that. No... instead you wish to make vile criticisms.

Just as you have insulted Holger, you have insulted myself and Harvey, as I fully support and agree with Holger's actions (and I dare say Harvey would be in full agreement too).
The sooner you realize you have the paying privilege to enter a place of business, and treat that privilege just as you would if you were a guest in someone else’s home, the better off you will be.

And just to be sure, you say at the end of that post, "Have no allusions, an organized resistance is emerging in the engine room." Is this some kind of threat? As an American, you should not find it hard to come to terms with Computer Tampering is a violation the Indiana State and the U.S. Federal Criminal Codes.

Regards,
Rob Osborne

After receiving several intimidating communications like this, I ask Steve B. a moderator here at TalkChess to please delete my account as well as my post for reasons of my personal security. After 24 hours this has still not been done.

I will not respond to any comments expressed about this post and this is in fact the last time I will speak on this forum. Thank you all and if I did offend anyone by alluding to foot apparel worn in the 1930s I apologize.
Steve B

Re: TalkChess is Dangerous

Post by Steve B »

Frayer wrote:I have been a computer chess hobbyist for nearly 30 years, but I have never seen anything like this place. Although, aware of the TalkChess forum for many years only a few days ago did I make my first post here. Dr. Wael Deeb had posted a few words I had written over at the Rybka forum, and I wished to make some clarifications.

While over here I happened to notice a post by an American player who is known to me, Franklin T. Seeing that he was complaining about receiving a suspension on the PlayChess server and having witnessed the incident, I spoke on his behalf. I did use some colorful language (not vulgar or crude) but apparently politically inappropriate. (my entire post was removed because one word was deemed objectionable) .

well you were given the option by me by PM to remove the offensive sentence that we received complaints about and when you read my PM and did not reply i removed the entire post after which i again PM'd you alerting you to the fact that your entire post was still in the mod forum and i could send it back to you for a simple edit to then make your post in compliance with the charter
i did not close your account because i was hoping you could get past this one small issue and keep your newly created account here open
however i see that is not going to happen so i have alerted the TCADMIN to remove your account

A Pity Regards
Steve
Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

Frayer wrote:
After receiving several intimidating communications like this, I ask Steve B. a moderator here at TalkChess to please delete my account as well as my post for reasons of my personal security.
Maybe you failed to measure the thickness of your skin before posting here the first time.
It needs to be at least 2 inches.

Matthias.
My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Matthias Gemuh wrote:
Frayer wrote:
After receiving several intimidating communications like this, I ask Steve B. a moderator here at TalkChess to please delete my account as well as my post for reasons of my personal security.
Maybe you failed to measure the thickness of your skin before posting here the first time.

Matthias.
moderators need a skin 3 feet thick
totally thankless job
Steve
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

Steve B wrote:
Frayer wrote:I have been a computer chess hobbyist for nearly 30 years, but I have never seen anything like this place. Although, aware of the TalkChess forum for many years only a few days ago did I make my first post here. Dr. Wael Deeb had posted a few words I had written over at the Rybka forum, and I wished to make some clarifications.

While over here I happened to notice a post by an American player who is known to me, Franklin T. Seeing that he was complaining about receiving a suspension on the PlayChess server and having witnessed the incident, I spoke on his behalf. I did use some colorful language (not vulgar or crude) but apparently politically inappropriate. (my entire post was removed because one word was deemed objectionable) .

well you were given the option by me by PM to remove the offensive sentence that we received complaints about and when you read my PM and did not reply i removed the entire post after which i again PM'd you alerting you to the fact that your entire post was still in the mod forum and i could send it back to you for a simple edit to then make your post in compliance with the charter
i did not close your account because i was hoping you could get past this one small issue and keep your newly created account here open
however i see that is not going to happen so i have alerted the TCADMIN to remove your account

A Pity Regards
Steve
Steve, excuse me but please try to repair that. It's just not right. I would be sad if Frayer left us already after such a short period. I dont like pity regards if you unnecessarily "alert" the admin to delete his account.

What we have here is this. An older expert and highly motivated was a bit naive in his reaction on Playchess. It's primarily this and NOT something that should have influence on CCC. He knows it and now wanted to get some relief by creating a second battle field where at least people talk to him. On Playchess there is chess but not much talking. Ok he exaggerated but therefore he isnt a bad member. At least he want to talk.

So here is my plea or proposal, please try to re-open his account and give him some time to recover. In this respect it was premature to publish the exact steps this had taken. Because now he's even more looking like a fool. In his own eyes.

Life is too short to do other things than enjoying it with chess and he likes chess. I wished he could reconsider and continue some debates. It would also do him well.

If you need a justification for this reverse moderating just say it was for Rolf and because Christmas season. Just in case.

Kevin? Is that ok with you? -Rolf
-Popper and Lakatos are good but I'm stuck on Leibowitz
kingliveson

Post by kingliveson »

It is evident that ChessBase needs to retrain some staffers, and go through the employee-customer relations DVD/Power Point presentation once again. It pains me to see Kevin leave this forum--he is a knowledgeable man and many including myself have learned a great deal from him.

I have been using this forum for years, and as a matter a fact, I had registered an account a few years back, but never posted with it. There is a lot to be gained reading through the "Programming and Technical Discussions" section whether your skills are advanced or intermediate. I like the forum and feel Frayer would have been a productive member.

There is more to this story...believe me and that is why I understand his decision to leave especially when your personal safety is in jeopardy.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Matthias Gemuh wrote:
Frayer wrote:

Matthias.
I don't think he'll be the last to walk out of here, judging from the way things are going.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Graham Banks wrote:
Matthias Gemuh wrote:
Frayer wrote:

Matthias.
I don't think he'll be the last to walk out of here, judging from the way things are going.
interesting in that he walked out because we would not allow him to make disparaging remarks about people from a certain nationality

i dont think we need new members like that here
Steve
kingliveson

Post by kingliveson »

Steve B wrote:
interesting in that he walked out because we would not allow him to make disparaging remarks about people from a certain nationality

Steve
I don't think he left because of you Steve.
Frayer wrote: After receiving several intimidating communications like this, I ask Steve B. a moderator here at TalkChess to please delete my account as well as my post for reasons of my personal security.
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

kingliveson wrote:
Steve B wrote:

Steve
I don't think he left because of you Steve.
Frayer wrote: After receiving several intimidating communications like this, I ask Steve B. a moderator here at TalkChess to please delete my account as well as my post for reasons of my personal security.
Would he be allowed to come back anonymously, a real bug these days.
-Popper and Lakatos are good but I'm stuck on Leibowitz