Computer Chess Hall of Fame

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Howard E

Computer Chess Hall of Fame

Post by Howard E »

Tossing out a few ideas on what might qualify a person to be in a Computer Chess Hall of Fame.
What should be included as criteria?
Who would decide? Poll of fans or select commitee (as in baseball)
Discussions?

Computer Chess Hall of Fame Criteria

1. Degree of contribution to the advancement of the field
2. Degree of impact
3. Scope of a candidate's activity (programming, participation, teaching and sharing of ideas, organizing tournaments, innovations)
4. Span of influence
5. Influence on others
6. Devotion to the field
7. Statistics (tournament victories, rating list dominance)
8. Originality
mcostalba

Re: Computer Chess Hall of Fame

Post by mcostalba »

Howard E wrote:Tossing out a few ideas on what might qualify a person to be in a Computer Chess Hall of Fame.
Discussions?

2. Degree of impact
3. Scope of a candidate's activity (programming, participation, teaching and sharing of ideas, organizing tournaments, innovations)
4. Span of influence
5. Influence on others
6. Devotion to the field
8. Originality

1. Prof. Hyatt

...there is no second and third :-)

it is a pity he choose to don't post anymore, a big miss for the comunity
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Are Turing and Shannon that easily forgotten? :shock:
bob

Post by bob »

hgm wrote:Are Turing and Shannon that easily forgotten? :shock:
And Thompson, Slate, Marsland, Newborn, Hsu, Campbell, Truscott, Greenblatt, Too many to name in one sitting, IMHO. Not so sure about Turing with respect to CC however. Shannon, Newell Simon and Shaw, come to mind for the pure AI aspects.
benkidwell

Post by benkidwell »

This topic seems like a good place to ask about a magazine article I remember reading long ago in the 1980s, perhaps in the New Yorker - it was a long article about computer chess, and I believe the author focused on Belle and Ken Thompson but also talked about Cray Blitz and other notable programs along with some history. It was very compelling to me as a young person. I've done a bit of random googling to see if I can turn up any references to it, but haven't found anything yet. Does anyone recall such an article?

On the topic of the hall of fame, I think there has to be an "honorary" place reserved for Kasparov, also! The most historically significant opponent for computers across the board, and someone who has helped raise the stature of the field.
bob

Post by bob »

benkidwell wrote:This topic seems like a good place to ask about a magazine article I remember reading long ago in the 1980s, perhaps in the New Yorker - it was a long article about computer chess, and I believe the author focused on Belle and Ken Thompson but also talked about Cray Blitz and other notable programs along with some history. It was very compelling to me as a young person. I've done a bit of random googling to see if I can turn up any references to it, but haven't found anything yet. Does anyone recall such an article?

On the topic of the hall of fame, I think there has to be an "honorary" place reserved for Kasparov, also! The most historically significant opponent for computers across the board, and someone who has helped raise the stature of the field.
I don't have a reference to the article, but it was in the New Yorker. As far as Kasparov goes, you would have to also toss David Levy into that mix.
Christopher Conkie

Post by Christopher Conkie »

bob wrote:
benkidwell wrote:This topic seems like a good place to ask about a magazine article I remember reading long ago in the 1980s, perhaps in the New Yorker - it was a long article about computer chess, and I believe the author focused on Belle and Ken Thompson but also talked about Cray Blitz and other notable programs along with some history. It was very compelling to me as a young person. I've done a bit of random googling to see if I can turn up any references to it, but haven't found anything yet. Does anyone recall such an article?

I don't have a reference to the article, but it was in the New Yorker. As far as Kasparov goes, you would have to also toss David Levy into that mix.
And Hans Berliner.
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

Christopher Conkie wrote:
bob wrote:

And Hans Berliner.
Yep Hi-Tech which employed a processor for every square on the chessboard back in the mid eighties.
Terry McCracken
PauloSoare

Post by PauloSoare »

Terry McCracken wrote:
Christopher Conkie wrote:
bob wrote:

And Hans Berliner.
Yep Hi-Tech which employed a processor for every square on the chessboard back in the mid eighties.
No names of people who helped develop computer chess in the list in recent years? Richard Lang, for example.
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Howard E wrote:Tossing out a few ideas on what might qualify a person to be in a Computer Chess Hall of Fame.
Discussions?

2. Degree of impact
4. Span of influence
5. Influence on others
6. Devotion to the field
8. Originality
perhaps a better name for 7.Statistics ..would be 7.Domination in the field..
certainly in the Commercial Computer chess category the name
Richard Lang would need a mention
his Mephisto Engines were the strongest Commercial chess engines anyone could buy for a period of 6 uninterrupted years
1985-1990
in addition to leading all rating lists for those years he also won the the World Championships for the same period

imagine a commercial chess engine today that leads the rating lists for 6 years?

http://www.grappa.univ-lille3.fr/icga/p ... php?id=202

Steve