Computer Chess Hall of Fame

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Bill Rogers

Re: Computer Chess Hall of Fame

Post by Bill Rogers »

Least we forget Belle and the Spraklins.
Howard E

Post by Howard E »

Of the names you list, do any any of them stand above the rest?
For example if a hypothetical body with stringent standards had to choose, say 5 inductees per year, who would rise to the top?
bob

Post by bob »

PauloSoare wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
Christopher Conkie wrote:
bob wrote:
benkidwell wrote:This topic seems like a good place to ask about a magazine article I remember reading long ago in the 1980s, perhaps in the New Yorker - it was a long article about computer chess, and I believe the author focused on Belle and Ken Thompson but also talked about Cray Blitz and other notable programs along with some history. It was very compelling to me as a young person. I've done a bit of random googling to see if I can turn up any references to it, but haven't found anything yet. Does anyone recall such an article?

On the topic of the hall of fame, I think there has to be an "honorary" place reserved for Kasparov, also! The most historically significant opponent for computers across the board, and someone who has helped raise the stature of the field.
I don't have a reference to the article, but it was in the New Yorker. As far as Kasparov goes, you would have to also toss David Levy into that mix.
And Hans Berliner.
Yep Hi-Tech which employed a processor for every square on the chessboard back in the mid eighties.
No names of people who helped develop computer chess in the list in recent years? Richard Lang, for example.
While I would not say he "helped" since he was a commercial author and didn't reveal new ideas, he certainly belongs in any such discussion. Along with Ed, Franz, etc.
bob

Post by bob »

Bill Rogers wrote:Least we forget Belle and the Spraklins.
Had already mentioned Ken (Thompson)
djbl

Post by djbl »

what about botvinnik? i have heard somewhere that in the 60s he was interested in developing a programme that didnt just use brute force, no idea how successful he was though.
Togga

Post by Togga »

of course the new chess stars are the author of fruit, rajlich-rybka5, the authors of the ippolit family, stockfish and philou and others.
Spacious_Mind

Post by Spacious_Mind »

Steve B wrote:
Howard E wrote:Tossing out a few ideas on what might qualify a person to be in a Computer Chess Hall of Fame.
What should be included as criteria?
Who would decide? Poll of fans or select commitee (as in baseball)
Discussions?

Computer Chess Hall of Fame Criteria

1. Degree of contribution to the advancement of the field
2. Degree of impact
3. Scope of a candidate's activity (programming, participation, teaching and sharing of ideas, organizing tournaments, innovations)
4. Span of influence
5. Influence on others
6. Devotion to the field
7. Statistics (tournament victories, rating list dominance)
8. Originality
perhaps a better name for 7.Statistics ..would be 7.Domination in the field..
certainly in the Commercial Computer chess category the name
Richard Lang would need a mention
his Mephisto Engines were the strongest Commercial chess engines anyone could buy for a period of 6 uninterrupted years
1985-1990
in addition to leading all rating lists for those years he also won the the World Championships for the same period

imagine a commercial chess engine today that leads the rating lists for 6 years?

http://www.grappa.univ-lille3.fr/icga/p ... php?id=202

Steve
Sure, also Kittinger one of the greatest 8 Bit programmers of all time. God, I love Kaplans contribution too..

Morsch & Schroeder, DeKoening regards
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

djbl wrote:what about botvinnik? i have heard somewhere that in the 60s he was interested in developing a programme that didnt just use brute force, no idea how successful he was though.
Yes, Botvinnik deserves mention and was working on a system/program (IIRC) into the mid eighties that used a selective search process to emulate human chess rather than just brute force which couldn't go too far in those days.
Terry McCracken
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Spacious_Mind wrote:
Sure, also Kittinger one of the greatest 8 Bit programmers of all time. God, I love Kaplans contribution too..

Schroeder might be the best 8 bit engine programmer of all time
i oft times wonder ...
if Ed was given the 32 bit hardware by Mephisto to program and Lang was given the 8 bit hardware ..who would have held all of those Weltmeister titles after all??

Food For Thought Regards
Steve
Spacious_Mind

Post by Spacious_Mind »

Steve B wrote:
Spacious_Mind wrote:

Schroeder might be the best 8 bit engine programmer of all time
i oft times wonder ...
if Ed was given the 32 bit hardware by Mephisto to program and Lang was given the 8 bit hardware ..who would have held all of those Weltmeister titles after all??

Food For Thought Regards
Steve
Does that mean all dedicated computer programmers should make the Hall of Fame !! :P