new chess site: www.CycloneChess.com

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

kranium

new chess site: www.CycloneChess.com

Post by kranium »

here is my new chess site: www.CycloneChess.com
...which i've been developing for some time now.

basically, it's a very 'full-featured' web site that offers online chess via a web browser interface: supports individual players, teams, tournaments, ranking lists, etc., but more interestingly, users can now pit themselves against today's strongest chess engines online, with nothing to download.

it's basically online correspondence (like redhotpawn) using only a web browser interface...but i developed it hoping to offer a site for 'advanced chess'...
there's absolutely no download or software to install of any kind
registration is simple: user name and email address, and is completely free
the software offers many 100's of unique and colorful chess pieces and chess board combinations...see 'Board Settings'
you can choose rated or unrated, team or tournament games...
games may range anywhere from 30 minutes up to 180 days...
there are 96 thematic opening positions are available, also for tournaments and team challenges
there is optional email notification: when it's your move, when your opponent has resigned, etc.
the site includes a huge avatar gallery, it's very easy to upload your favorite image (although this feature needs work and doesn't currently function perfectly)
players can play under any of more than 350 unique flags of the world

the version that is now up and running is really a 'beta', although i'm quite sure it's 99.9% functional.
there may be a small issue or bug here and there, but nothing major...

the software had major use and testing several years ago, when i had much earlier versions up and running as iNetChess.com and later CentaurChess.com

the site is complicated in implementation, but rather simple in architecture:
it uses HTML with some JavaScript on the front end, which communicates with a MySQL server backend via PHP...
it currently resides on a 6 year old Dell PowerEdge 2006 dual-CPU Xeon server (with 2 GB RAM) running w/ Microsoftt Server 2003 and is utilizing IIS, old PHP version ?, and MSQL 4.x, etc...
so if you experience a performance issue, please don't complain...the server is old, and it's utilizing a slow 'small office' internet connection from my 'humble' premises here in Bruges.

the web site currently interfaces w/ several major chess engines as so called 'Beast Bots'...(based on legendary monsters).
these 'bots' are primarily composed of various old 'Crafty releases' with different books, personality settings etc..., but also include other open-source programs.
i will not say anything further concerning exactly which programs, which versions, etc...until final production site is ready. in the meantime i simply leave that up to you to try to determine for yourself…

full disclosure:
the site uses code, ideas, resources, technology, etc. from many many sources:
i list them here as best as i can determine, including, but not limited to:
Microsoft (of course)
Small Business Server 2003, IIS, DNS, Active Directory, etc.
including scheduled job scripting '.job; (similar to UNIX 'crontab)
MySQL,
PHP,
PHP Maker,
Dell,
ChessBase,
Chessopolis,
Bob Hyatt (Crafty)
About.com
Compwebchess 1 (1995)
comp.pucpcaldas.br
FiveDigital.com
ChessCorner.com
ChessPoster.com
IconBazaar
SEO.com
and many others...

known bugs/issues:
‘upload avatar’ is broken
the SQL full search/sort code response time seems a bit slow
(this will be greatly improved for sure when on a powerful server with ample resources)
bots promoting is problematic/broken...this should be fixed soon

Regards,
Norm
miles

Re: new chess site: www.CycloneChess.com

Post by miles »

Thanks, great site.