FIDE WCC thread question

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

bob

FIDE WCC thread question

Post by bob »

Adam Hair wrote:This thread is for coverage and discussion of the upcoming World Chess Championship between the champion, Viswanathan Anand, and the challenger, Magnus Carlsen, which runs from November 9 to November 26 (not counting the possibility of tie break games). We the moderators are asking you the members to use this thread instead of creating new threads. This does not mean that threads can not be created for topics such as engine analysis of moves played during the match. But, we do wish to keep the general forum from being flooded with multiple threads concerning the match.

This thread remain at the top of the first page for the duration of the World Chess Championship.

Thanks,
Adam, Julien, Miguel

I'm curious, as always. You JUST told a member he could not post anything in here that was not related to computer chess. Remember that discussion? So is Anand or Carlsen using a computer chess program in some way?

You told this poster to post tournament stuff in the tournaments forum. (Isn't this a match, same thing as a two-person tournament)? You told him to post non-computer-chess stuff in CTF. Isn't this non-computer-chess stuff?

Any chance things will EVER be consistent here?

Note that I did not use the letter that follows Q or the letter that follows D in the alphabet, so there is no reason to delete this post based on that stupid idea...
Uri Blass

Re: FIDE WCC thread question

Post by Uri Blass »

bob wrote:
Adam Hair wrote:This thread is for coverage and discussion of the upcoming World Chess Championship between the champion, Viswanathan Anand, and the challenger, Magnus Carlsen, which runs from November 9 to November 26 (not counting the possibility of tie break games). We the moderators are asking you the members to use this thread instead of creating new threads. This does not mean that threads can not be created for topics such as engine analysis of moves played during the match. But, we do wish to keep the general forum from being flooded with multiple threads concerning the match.

This thread remain at the top of the first page for the duration of the World Chess Championship.

Thanks,
Adam, Julien, Miguel

I'm curious, as always. You JUST told a member he could not post anything in here that was not related to computer chess. Remember that discussion? So is Anand or Carlsen using a computer chess program in some way?

You told this poster to post tournament stuff in the tournaments forum. (Isn't this a match, same thing as a two-person tournament)? You told him to post non-computer-chess stuff in CTF. Isn't this non-computer-chess stuff?

Note that I did not use the letter that follows Q or the letter that follows D in the alphabet, so there is no reason to delete this post based on that stupid idea...
I am sure both anand and Carlsen using at least one computer chess program in their preperation for the match.

I am also sure that a significant number of people are going to use computer chess programs to analyze positions from the WCC match and this is not the case for every chess game between humans.
JuLieN
Full name: Julien Marcel

Post by JuLieN »

Curiosity is a very sane trait of character, Bob, and it will be satisfied. In the past, during previous WC Championships, users were discussing the games here in CCC, despite they had nothing to do with Computer chess. We suggested once to use CTF for them, and were answered that serious chess discussions couldn't take place there. Point taken. So we were left, apparently, with two choices :
- either be very strict in following the charter and forbid all chess discussions, even for rare important events like WCCs,
- or allow them and get complaints from users rightfully reminding us that Talkchess is a Computer Chess forum.

Then Adam came with what we thought was a good compromise : allowing one thread to discuss the WCC, and make it a sticky during the championship.

Now you know, and I hope this satisfies your curiosity about why and what's what.

Oh, one more thing : as you entered Adam's thread with an out-of-topic post, I split it before answering it, so the WCC thread doesn't start it's life with being hijacked into a CCC policy discussion.

Thank you for your understanding.
Last edited by JuLieN on Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The only good bug is a dead bug." (Don Dailey)
[Blog: http://tinyurl.com/predateur ] [Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/fbpredateur ] [MacEngines: http://tinyurl.com/macengines ]
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

bob wrote:

Thanks,
Adam, Julien, Miguel

One of the most salient posts I've read in a long long time, Robert! :)
Terry McCracken
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

bob wrote:

Thanks,
Adam, Julien, Miguel

And if you read my post to Ruxy completely, you would have seen that I stated that anything tangentially connected to computer chess is allowed in CCC. Are you saying that chess has no connection to computer chess? Hasn't the Tournaments and Matches subforum always be used to share the results of solely engine matches? Haven't threads pertaining to world chess championship matches historically taken place in CCC?
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

It is absolutely right that we should be able to discuss the FIDE match here.
bob

Post by bob »

Modern Times wrote:It is absolutely right that we should be able to discuss the FIDE match here.
No arguments. But it IS off topic for "computer chess". Hence my question. If the mods are going to remove one off-topic post and suggest it be taken to CTF, they should remove ALL off-topic posts and suggest they be taken to CTF. Otherwise it is simply a double standard.
bob

Post by bob »

Adam Hair wrote:
bob wrote:

Thanks,
Adam, Julien, Miguel

And if you read my post to Ruxy completely, you would have seen that I stated that anything tangentially connected to computer chess is allowed in CCC. Are you saying that chess has no connection to computer chess? Hasn't the Tournaments and Matches subforum always be used to share the results of solely engine matches? Haven't threads pertaining to world chess championship matches historically taken place in CCC?
And to continue that, hasn't Ruxy posted MANY pictures here that produced no complaints during my multiple terms as a moderator? You guys have simply gone too far. The rybka investigation was STARTED here. Now one can't use the term "reverse-engineering" without incurring the risk of having a post deleted.

Not a very good sign, IMHO.

This is not a place YOU started. It is a place that TEN of us started, me being one of the original 10. Yet it is getting reshaped into something that is less useful as time goes on.
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

There is a whole forum dedicated to reverse engineering topics. If there is anything new, any poster could place a pointer here and a thread there. The pointer could be removed after a while. Anything related to the Rybka affair here will generate complaints by now, even if there was no separate forum. Too much about general chess will likewise generate complaints, or recurring posts with nothing new in them, even if the subject is computer chess. The moderators simply took some action on the complaint, within the guiderules they set for themselves. They explained why they did moderate some posts. If anything mentioning those two letters is automatically modified I don't know if that actually is so, that maybe that would go a bit far, but if that is their preferred method of having an "early warning" radar for some kind of posts, I can't blame them. So far this post has not been modified by any script so I suppose it is not actually the case.

Just my five cents,

Eelco
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you
are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
-- Brian W. Kernighan
bob

Post by bob »

Eelco de Groot wrote:There is a whole forum dedicated to reverse engineering topics. If there is anything new, any poster could place a pointer here and a thread there. The pointer could be removed after a while. Anything related to the Rybka affair here will generate complaints by now, even if there was no separate forum. Too much about general chess will likewise generate complaints, or recurring posts with nothing new in them, even if the subject is computer chess. The moderators simply took some action on the complaint, within the guiderules they set for themselves. They explained why they did moderate some posts. If anything mentioning those two letters is automatically modified I don't know if that actually is so, that maybe that would go a bit far, but if that is their preferred method of having an "early warning" radar for some kind of posts, I can't blame them. So far this post has not been modified by any script so I suppose it is not actually the case.

Just my five cents,

Eelco
You miss the point. Apparently some moderators feel that the topic itself is verbotten in ANY forum here.