Gaviota v1.0 (Release)

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Sedat Canbaz

Re: Gaviota v1.0 (Release)

Post by Sedat Canbaz »

michiguel wrote:
Sedat Canbaz wrote:A quick test: Crafty 23.8 x64 vs Gaviota 1.0 x64

And so far, the new version of Gaviota is doing very good...

It seems, there is a Big improvement over the older Gaviota version...Well-done to Miguel Ballicora!
Thanks, that is promising, Crafty is a big milestone for every amateur programmer. I wish I was playing like the photo seems to suggest :-)

Miguel
As you know :), there were complaints in my previous thread about wrong Author names, but this time I was very careful... :D
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

Raptor wrote:Hi Ray,

I think this is due to the fact that End of line character in Linux is different from that in Windows.

IIRC in Linux it is a plain \n whereas in Windows it is \r\n which makes it lose the line spacing if opened in notepad.

I believe Wordpad on the other hand understands both the Line ending characters, so opening the file in wordpad might make sense.

I do not know the way Gaviota parses EOL but I suppose \n or \r\n will both be recognized.

Hope this helps,
Regards,Steve
Generally, I convert the text files with "todos -aou" in linux, and it works. For some reason, sometimes I use those files in windows, save them, and upload them, I screw things up. They look fine to me, but in the process of moving the files around computers... daemons show up. I should process in Linux, convert them, and get my fingers out of it.

Miguel
jpqy

Post by jpqy »

Hi Miguel,

I checked again..now i have run with Task Manager..and there it shows he is calculating between 81-100% cpu usage when selected 4cores!
So,it looks like he use all 4cores..even in FritzGui it shows only 1core?
I see in .ini file that Gaviota support to max.16cores..but in FritzGui Gaviota engine settings i can go till 64cores?

I just checked also with selecting 1core = 25%cpu ,2cores = 43-50% ,3cores is around 73% ..so works good..only problem is showing 1core.
Not a big problem..it's okay that i know he use the right selected cores!

JP.
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

jpqy wrote:Hi Miguel,

I checked again..now i have run with Task Manager..and there it shows he is calculating between 81-100% cpu usage when selected 4cores!
So,it looks like he use all 4cores..even in FritzGui it shows only 1core?
I see in .ini file that Gaviota support to max.16cores..but in FritzGui Gaviota engine settings i can go till 64cores?
Arghh. I need to update the comment in the ini file. It supports up to 64 cores.

What FritzGUI reports must be GUI issue, because there is no way the engine can communicate it has accepted to use x number of cores, so there is no possible communication error from the engine. As long as the engine uses what it is told, it should be fine.

Miguel

I just checked also with selecting 1core = 25%cpu ,2cores = 43-50% ,3cores is around 73% ..so works good..only problem is showing 1core.
Not a big problem..it's okay that i know he use the right selected cores!

JP.
jpqy

Post by jpqy »

I can't edit my message with Hardends2013 test anymore? Limit to 15min.
So the result is then done with 4cores and not with 1core!

JP.
fern

Post by fern »

Muy bien, colega!
A ver si un dia te animas a agregarle a gaviota yodas esas cosas divertida de las que hemos conversado.
Quien sabe....
Un abrazo
fernando
Sedat Canbaz

Post by Sedat Canbaz »

michiguel wrote: Crafty is a big milestone for every amateur programmer.
Miguel
Agreed...

Btw, there are two good proverbs, which suit about the current issue:

Student surpasses the Teacher

Teachers open the door, but you must enter by yourself
Martin Labarca

Post by Martin Labarca »

Congratulations Miguel and, of course, Adam !

Regards
Martin
Sedat Canbaz

Post by Sedat Canbaz »

Still not many games, but however as I expected: the new Gaviota is another beast!!
http://www.sedatcanbaz.com/chess/?page_id=1180
Sedat Canbaz

Post by Sedat Canbaz »

Note that the below testing is different than SCCT Top 20 MP standings
(both engines are played with 1 core, with my favorite/ strongest openings, reversed colors, 128 MB hash, no endgames...)

And here are the current results (I paused the match, not necessary any longer with these conditions, it is clear that Gaviota is super strong...!!)