*** TALKCHESS SERVER TO BE SHUT DOWN ***

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

hgm
Full name: H G Muller

*** TALKCHESS SERVER TO BE SHUT DOWN ***

Post by hgm »

If I understood the latest e-mail of Quentin Turner correctly, the ChessUSA server on which TalkChess is hosted will go off line at the end of the month, as he is not renewing the subscription with the provider.

How are we doing setting up the new server?
Ajedrecista

Re: *** TALKCHESS SERVER TO BE SHUT DOWN! ***

Post by Ajedrecista »

Hello:
hgm wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:42 pm If I understood the latest e-mail of Quentin Turner correctly, the ChessUSA server on which TalkChess is hosted will go off line at the end of the month, as he is not renewing the subscription with the provider.

How are we doing setting up the new server?
It might be useful to make this thread sticky to get more visibility. Surprisingly, I am the first one to answer, sadly without solutions. Is there a way to backup, mirror, download or something else the complete forum, if possible, with or without styles? Or this can be done only by the admin/s? Moderators have not got admin rights to do this? I guess no, if you are asking for help. May I remember this topic:

Test trying to save a sample post with the Wayback Machine

And of course the following sticky thread at this current subforum:

Crowd funding initiative to get our hands on the talkchess domain name

My best wishes because the clock is ticking very fast.

Regards from Spain.

Ajedrecista.
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Re: *** TALKCHESS SERVER TO BE SHUT DOWN ***

Post by Eelco de Groot »

It was a general message I think, HGM described in the other thread what was/is needed, FTP access to the database from Quentin or nothing can be transferred. But everyone was in under the impression, I think, the provider had already been paid in advance as that seemed to be what GoDaddy showed for this website. But only HGM and Ed know more right now.

See reply from Ed to Graham here; CCC shutting down 29th Feb

Please no saving individual posts with the Wayback Machine right now as that will only mean too much load on the server for our current sponsor's main business, sponsor which still is ChessUSA for now, although rights probably have been transferred, as HGM is saying.
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you
are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
-- Brian W. Kernighan
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Eelco de Groot wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:08 pm It was a general message I think, HGM described in the other thread what was/is needed, FTP access to the database from Quentin or nothing can be transferred. But everyone was in under the impression, I think, the provider had already been paid in advance as that seemed to be what GoDaddy showed for this website. But only HGM and Ed know more right now.

Please no saving individual posts with the Wayback Machine right now as that will only mean too much load on the server for our current sponsor's main business, sponsor which still is ChessUSA for now, although rights probably have been transferred, as HGM is saying.
Not this Graham. :)
gbanksnz at gmail.com
towforce

Post by towforce »

Graham Banks wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:20 pm
Eelco de Groot wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:08 pm It was a general message I think, HGM described in the other thread what was/is needed, FTP access to the database from Quentin or nothing can be transferred. But everyone was in under the impression, I think, the provider had already been paid in advance as that seemed to be what GoDaddy showed for this website. But only HGM and Ed know more right now.

Indeed - don't ever mix me up with the "Graham" from NZ! :D
Writing is the antidote to confusion.
It's not "how smart you are", it's "how are you smart".
Your brain doesn't work the way you want, so train it!
tmokonen
Full name: Tony Mokonen

Post by tmokonen »

All I know is that I would be absolutely crushed if the contents of this forum were to disappear.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

towforce wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:42 pm
Graham Banks wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:20 pm

Indeed - don't ever mix me up with the "Graham" from NZ! :D
:lol:
gbanksnz at gmail.com
smatovic
Full name: Srdja Matovic

Post by smatovic »

Dawn Penn - No, No No
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4vjVetZPpM

...I tried, but can not backup specific posts via archive.org, maybe cos of Cloudflare as CDN and the robots.txt on TC? Idk.

--
Srdja
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

After losing everything from the no longer existing Winboard forum, it would be a terrible loss of shared knowledge if all here was lost too.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
smatovic
Full name: Srdja Matovic

Post by smatovic »

Just for the files:

...the domain was probably paid 2 years in advance:
Expires On: 2025-03-05
...the server/web-hosting/CDN is probably paid on a monthly basis.

--
Srdja