*** TALKCHESS SERVER TO BE SHUT DOWN ***

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Ajedrecista

Re: *** TALKCHESS SERVER TO BE SHUT DOWN! ***

Post by Ajedrecista »

Hello Tony and Graham:
tmokonen wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:05 am All I know is that I would be absolutely crushed if the contents of this forum were to disappear.
Graham Banks wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:59 am After losing everything from the no longer existing Winboard forum, it would be a terrible loss of shared knowledge if all here was lost too.
Similar feeling here, I guess and wish we are not the only ones. I do not know if I would register in other forum or not... big words, I know, let us wait and see.

------------
Eelco de Groot wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:08 pm It was a general message I think, HGM described in the other thread what was/is needed, FTP access to the database from Quentin or nothing can be transferred. But everyone was in under the impression, I think, the provider had already been paid in advance as that seemed to be what GoDaddy showed for this website. But only HGM and Ed know more right now.

See reply from Ed to Graham here; CCC shutting down 29th Feb

Please no saving individual posts with the Wayback Machine right now as that will only mean too much load on the server for our current sponsor's main business, sponsor which still is ChessUSA for now, although rights probably have been transferred, as HGM is saying.
Thanks for your answer, Eelco, truly appreciated. I am not saving anything in spite of the understandable fear of losing everything, as seen above when replying to Tony and Graham. Like we say in Spain: «Que sea lo que Dios quiera» and «Lo que tenga que ser, será» (the last one is similar to 'Whatever will be, will be').

Regards from Spain.

Ajedrecista.
Werewolf

Re: *** TALKCHESS SERVER TO BE SHUT DOWN ***

Post by Werewolf »

Graham Banks wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:59 am After losing everything from the no longer existing Winboard forum, it would be a terrible loss of shared knowledge if all here was lost too.
Don't forget the Rybka forum. I'm still angry about that
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

From the reactions I understand that no one has prepared any move, now that we control the domain name and are in possession of the ftp password of the ChessUSA site? I handn't really expected that I would have to be involved in this, other than helping to install the scripts for diagrams and game viewers. And perhaps assist some in making the site DoS-proof.

I can of course easily upload all the files at ChessUSA to my own PC at home, to prevent them from getting lost, but that PC is not rigged as a server, and switched off while I am not working on it. So it wouldn't really help in continuing the forum. And since upload speeds are typically much slower than download speeds, and the download of a backup of the current forum already took me more than an hour, having all the files on my PC is not really a convenient step to setting up a server elsewhere.

So we need a server, and I have in fact no idea what the requirements are (in terms of network bandwidth, disk space, CPU demand...). Are there any ideas here? Or is it the plann that we should just lament the demise of the forum here as long as we still can?
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

Werewolf wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:58 am
Don't forget the Rybka forum. I'm still angry about that
That was a total fiasco. It felt like someone just took their marbles and went home!
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

Any explanation for the sudden short notice? Couldn't this have been announced sooner?!
smatovic
Full name: Srdja Matovic

Post by smatovic »

hgm wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:22 pm From the reactions I understand that no one has prepared any move, now that we control the domain name and are in possession of the ftp password of the ChessUSA site? I handn't really expected that I would have to be involved in this, other than helping to install the scripts for diagrams and game viewers. And perhaps assist some in making the site DoS-proof.

I can of course easily upload all the files at ChessUSA to my own PC at home, to prevent them from getting lost, but that PC is not rigged as a server, and switched off while I am not working on it. So it wouldn't really help in continuing the forum. And since upload speeds are typically much slower than download speeds, and the download of a backup of the current forum already took me more than an hour, having all the files on my PC is not really a convenient step to setting up a server elsewhere.

So we need a server, and I have in fact no idea what the requirements are (in terms of network bandwidth, disk space, CPU demand...). Are there any ideas here? Or is it the plann that we should just lament the demise of the forum here as long as we still can?
If there is no Plan A, count me as Plan B, give me the database dump and web-files, I am willing to do the TC webmaster and host it on my own web-space, there is not much going on in here anyways, people moved on to Discord Channels meanwhile....

--
Srdja
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

In the last day I write about computer chess only in the prodeo forum because I do not like to lose everything I write in a few days and I am not sure what is going to happen in this site.

https://prodeo.actieforum.com/f1-computer-chess
tmokonen
Full name: Tony Mokonen

Post by tmokonen »

smatovic wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:34 am

If there is no Plan A, count me as Plan B, give me the database dump and web-files, I am willing to do the TC webmaster and host it on my own web-space, there is not much going on in here anyways, people moved on to Discord Channels meanwhile....

--
Srdja
Discord blows at archiving information. It's a disorganized, hard to search, free-for-all chat.
smatovic
Full name: Srdja Matovic

Post by smatovic »

tmokonen wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:31 am [...]
Discord blows at archiving information. It's a disorganized, hard to search, free-for-all chat.
I agree.

--
Srdja
Carbec
Full name: Philippe Chevalier

Post by Carbec »

I still reading post made years ago here. There is so much knowledge.
How can you do that with discord ?
Its just a chat with online people. I insist : >online<. Try to answer a post made a week ago ...