Slow Move

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

chessica
Full name: Esmeralda Pinto

Slow Move

Post by chessica »

One question about “Slow Move”. I have many source files
from chess engines. What exactly do I have to look for to determine this
question - is this option included or not in the sources? How to find?
Viz
Full name: Michael Chaly

Re: Slow Move

Post by Viz »

Ignore it since it's absolutely useless, this is it.
chessica

Post by chessica »

Viz wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:14 pm Ignore it since it's absolutely useless, this is it.
Hi, your answer doesn't answer my question and unfortunately doesn't help me.
But I don't know if a clear answer is even possible.

If you don't want an answer here, you can also send me a private message.

thx.
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

It is an UCI option. It makes not very much sense for a program to have (rudimentary or commented out perhaps) code for an UCI option, but not make it visible to the end user. So if you can't find it there where you can change it, set it - as a user!-, it probably is not there. But I know this rule is not perfect and maybe you want to put it into a program yourself. I would not advise that because it involves changing the way the program uses time. So even if the UCI code is somehow still there if it is an old Stockfish clone, it probably will not work anymore if you somehow enabled it again, because it probably was disabled elsewhere but the option not removed. You can make a new UCI option by looking how the program does all the other UCI options but then you will also have to figure out where the timecontrol is in the program. And then change that which is not so trivial.

The option seems only interesting for opening book battles on servers? You can adapt the thinking time of your program so it is not outbooked by another program that has changed its usual timecontrol for instance. That is the only thing I can see it used for but that is just my hypothesis..
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you
are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
-- Brian W. Kernighan
chessica

Post by chessica »

"slowMover", this is the right search word and I found this in: timeman.cpp
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

Well done!

you see how breaking up a task into little sub tasks can help you. You can try to understand some of that code. It helps that all the code there is about time management so it is compartmentalized to that. Helps to focus.

Programming is a good way to battle brain fog perhaps. The effects of Long Covid in all its forms.

I was looking up yesterday a bit about how we used to do programming back in the seventies. Long before PCs, electronic calculators were all the rage, we did not have to use our slide rules anymore!

Slide rule:

I still have these. Also a small version I inherited from my grandfather, in a nice leather protective sleeve. Treasures

This is how we did programming in Algol in high school. Somewhere 1978 I think. We could write a program by checking the boxes on cards like this with a pencil. When your program was ready, the carton cards were put in a box and mailed to the supercomputer in Amsterdam at the Mathematisch Centrum. And then after a week or so you got your result back!

Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you
are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
-- Brian W. Kernighan
chessica

Post by chessica »

Eelco de Groot wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 12:36 pm Well done!

you see how breaking up a task into little sub tasks can help you. You can try to understand some of that code. It helps that all the code there is about time management so it is compartmentalized to that. Helps to focus.

Programming is a good way to battle brain fog perhaps. The effects of Long Covid in all its forms.

I was looking up yesterday a bit about how we used to do programming back in the seventies. Long before PCs, electronic calculators were all the rage, we did not have to use our slide rules anymore!

Slide rule:

I still have these. Also a small version I inherited from my grandfather, in a nice leather protective sleeve. Treasures

This is how we did programming in Algol in high school. Somewhere 1978 I think. We could write a program by checking the boxes on cards like this with a pencil. When your program was ready, the carton cards were put in a box and mailed to the supercomputer in Amsterdam at the Mathematisch Centrum. And then after a week or so you got your result back!

:D :)