Mephisto Phoenix is frozen

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

samsonwilliams
Full name: samson williams

Mephisto Phoenix is frozen

Post by samsonwilliams »

Has anyone had any problems with their Mephisto Phoenix freezing up? It started yesterday when I was playing a retro game against the Fidelity Elite Avante Garde, it would not let me promote a pawn and the game was ruined. Then this morning a game was ruined when playing against the Mephisto Glasgow it wouldn't let me move my queen, it just kept flashing the square where the piece was. I reset the game, started a new game, lost the game and wanted to play a new one but all the buttons were frozing and I could not reset the game. I turned the computer off and back on again and now it won't do anything at all, it boots up, but the two buttons at start up won't do anything. I have tried resetting the system but that hasn't changed anything.
Graham Banks

Re: Mephisto Phoenix is frozen

Post by Graham Banks »

Most of the dedicated chess computer aficionados are in the Hiarcs forum.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

samsonwilliams wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 3:52 am Has anyone had any problems with their Mephisto Phoenix freezing up? It started yesterday when I was playing a retro game against the Fidelity Elite Avante Garde, it would not let me promote a pawn and the game was ruined. Then this morning a game was ruined when playing against the Mephisto Glasgow it wouldn't let me move my queen, it just kept flashing the square where the piece was. I reset the game, started a new game, lost the game and wanted to play a new one but all the buttons were frozing and I could not reset the game. I turned the computer off and back on again and now it won't do anything at all, it boots up, but the two buttons at start up won't do anything. I have tried resetting the system but that hasn't changed anything.
Yes, the same thing happened to me and it started with promoting a pawn. I can't prove it but I think there is something about those other ROMS you can load in. I loaded the Elite Avante Garde, the Diablo and Super Expert C and it was after playing the Diablo that I got locked out for good. It was covered under warranty though so they accepted an exchange for a new unit. I won't load any of those other ROMS again.
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

I dont see why you should be locked. The software runs in ram. If you take away power everything should be from default again.

Mephisto III Glasgow can crash from time to time because it gets a full memory if you run it overclocked.
The engine was never designed to run so many factors faster.
When glasgow crashes, you can reset the machine with virtual button and then try again.
It has not much to do with the emulation because the original machine would also crash given the long amount of time the emulation does in a few seconds due to speed up.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....