SMIRF-UCI 0.0.1 (new repository)

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Roland Chastain
Full name: Roland Chastain

SMIRF-UCI 0.0.1 (new repository)

Post by Roland Chastain »

Hello everybody!

I had abandoned that project and deleted the GitHub repository, but I tested the engine today (in a FRC tournament with cutechess-cli), and it seems to work well, so I decided to recreate a repository: https://codeberg.org/rchastain/smirf-uci

It's an UCI interface for SMIRF chess engine. It is largely inspired by Smirfoglot, but supports FRC (what Smirfoglot doesn't do).

It even works on Linux, with wine. If someone is interested, here is the script I used to test the engine under Linux:

Code: Select all

/home/roland/Applications/cutechess-cli/cutechess-cli \
-variant fischerandom \
-rounds 8 \
-engine conf="Alouette 0.1.7" \
-engine proto=uci name="Smirf UCI 0.0.1 BC-176f" cmd="wine main.exe" dir="/home/roland/Documents/pascal/echecs/smirf-2301270955/uci-engine/BC-176f/" \
-engine proto=uci name="Smirf UCI 0.0.1 BC-178n" cmd="wine main.exe" dir="/home/roland/Documents/pascal/echecs/smirf-2301270955/uci-engine/BC-178n/" \
-engine proto=uci name="Smirf UCI 0.0.1 BC-180e" cmd="wine main.exe" dir="/home/roland/Documents/pascal/echecs/smirf-2301270955/uci-engine/BC-180e/" \
-pgnout tournoi.pgn \
-each tc=40/60 \
-wait 500 2>> tournoi.err | tee tournoi.log
There is an archive with binary here.
Qui trop embrasse mal étreint.
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Re: SMIRF-UCI 0.0.1 (new repository)

Post by Sylwy »

It works quite well. A beautiful achievement. Thank you!
One observation: the UCI version moves too quickly (1-2 seconds, maximum 3 per move). Below is a comparison with an original version:

Roland Chastain

Sylwy wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 9:39 am It works quite well. A beautiful achievement. Thank you!
Thank you for the compliment.
Sylwy wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 9:39 am One observation: the UCI version moves too quickly (1-2 seconds, maximum 3 per move). Below is a comparison with an original version:
OK, I will check that.

I see on your screenshot that the original version (Smirfoglot I think) uses the BC-173g DLL. The UCI version uses BC-180e (but works also with two other versions that I included in the ZIP file).

I would be inteterested to try the BC-173g DLL. Would you mind sending it to me or making it available somewhere? I would also like to have your SMIRF logo. :wink:
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Post by Sylwy »

Roland Chastain wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 11:30 am
I see on your screenshot that the original version (Smirfoglot I think) uses the BC-173g DLL. The UCI version uses BC-180e (but works also with two other versions that I included in the ZIP file).

I would be inteterested to try the BC-173g DLL. Would you mind sending it to me or making it available somewhere? I would also like to have your SMIRF logo. :wink:
Already sent (see PM) !
Roland Chastain

Here is the part of the program that manages the time:

if BeginsWith('go', LCmd) then
              begin
                if IsGoCmd(LCmd, LWTime, LBTime, LWInc, LBinc) then // go wtime 60000 btime 60000 winc 1000 binc 1000
                begin
                  Assert(LSmirf.DoCmd('T', 'W', LWInc + LWTime div 50) <> '');
                  Assert(LSmirf.DoCmd('T', 'B', LBinc + LBTime div 50) <> '');
                  Assert(LSmirf.DoCmd('T', '#', 1) <> ''); // Time is for one move
                end else
                if IsGoCmd(LCmd, LWTime, LBTime, LMTG) then // go wtime 59559 btime 56064 movestogo 38
                begin
                  Assert(LSmirf.DoCmd('T', 'W', LWTime div LMTG) <> '');
                  Assert(LSmirf.DoCmd('T', 'B', LBTime div LMTG) <> '');
                end else
                if IsGoCmd(LCmd, LWTime, LBTime) then // go wtime 600000 btime 600000
                begin
                  Assert(LSmirf.DoCmd('T', 'W', LWTime) <> '');
                  Assert(LSmirf.DoCmd('T', 'B', LBTime) <> '');
                  Assert(LSmirf.DoCmd('T', '#', 0) <> ''); // Time is for all moves
                end else
                if IsGoCmd(LCmd, LMTime) then // go movetime 500
                begin
                  Assert(LSmirf.DoCmd('T', 'W', LMTime) <> '');
                  Assert(LSmirf.DoCmd('T', 'B', LMTime) <> '');
                end else
                  Assert(FALSE, 'Cannot parse go command');
I think to modifying the first part like this:

if IsGoCmd(LCmd, LWTime, LBTime, LWInc, LBinc) then // go wtime 60000 btime 60000 winc 1000 binc 1000
                begin
                  Assert(LSmirf.DoCmd('T', 'W', LWInc + LWTime) <> '');
                  Assert(LSmirf.DoCmd('T', 'B', LBinc + LBTime) <> '');
                  Assert(LSmirf.DoCmd('T', '#', 0) <> ''); // Time is for all moves
Roland Chastain

SMIRF-UCI 0.0.2

SMIRF-UCI 0.0.2 is available.
  • Better time management (I hope, see previous post)
  • 'go' command correctly parsed in any order (for compatibility with WinBoard)
  • Includes DLL version BC-173g-X
The DLL in the main directory is version BC-180e. To use the other versions, copy smirf.exe in the corresponding folder.