Speaking of Windows

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mar
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Re: Speaking of Windows

Post by mar »

it's possible to download a liveboot linux USB image and possibly access the old disk, this way one might be able to at least save some of the most important data
(unless the disk was encrypted)
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Windows 7 was not so bad. I am still using it. Advantage is that it is no longer supported. So there are no updates to destroy it.
Damas Clásicas
Full name: Herson P. Guier

Post by Damas Clásicas »

hgm wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:44 am Windows 7 was not so bad. I am still using it. Advantage is that it is no longer supported. So there are no updates to destroy it.
Advantage only if your computer is older. If your computer has a newer processor, (Ryzen, etc) Windows 7 will not install on it correctly. Had many problems with that. And yes, it's true that over time solutions gradually appeared, but I don't know exactly what it ended up with. I'm still with Windows 10 (with updates disabled).
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

Dann Corbit wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:38 am I have a strange system, which cannot be upgraded to Windows 11 according to the MS analysis.
From 2019, AMD 3970x with 128GB RAM, and two 2080 Super GPUs, it is rejected for upgrade.
What reason does it give for not being compatible ?
towforce

Post by towforce »

Dann Corbit wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:38 am The latest Windows update (4-7-2024) utterly fried my system.

I am very sorry to hear this - this is a highly inconvenient thing to happen.

One thing everyone should do is to ensure that all their irreplaceable data is backed up and kept in a different building. This could be via a network drive, an internet file storage service, or even a good old-fashioned tape backup (the backup tapes should be kept in a different building in case your house burns down).
Writing is the antidote to confusion.
It's not "how smart you are", it's "how are you smart".
Your brain doesn't work the way you want, so train it!
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Modern Times wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:44 am
Dann Corbit wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:38 am I have a strange system, which cannot be upgraded to Windows 11 according to the MS analysis.
From 2019, AMD 3970x with 128GB RAM, and two 2080 Super GPUs, it is rejected for upgrade.
What reason does it give for not being compatible ?
Not sure. It wants me to run some application for an accurate diagnosis.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

I am back up on the machine now. Made a thumb drive windows installer. The windows license is on the motherboard. I have a Windows.old folder, which (if I recall correctly) disappears after a while.

I have most of my important applications re-installed. I have not recovered my SQL database yet, but I have everything I need to do that installed now.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Leo
Full name: Leo Anger

Post by Leo »

Sorry to hear. Can hardly beleive your post. I tried Windows 11 3 times and got rid of it 3 times. It sounds like you are using 10.
Advanced Micro Devices fan.
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

Leo wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:18 pm Sorry to hear. Can hardly beleive your post. I tried Windows 11 3 times and got rid of it 3 times. It sounds like you are using 10.
I tried Linux probably 20 times over the years and got rid of it 20 times.
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

Modern Times wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:29 pm
Leo wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:18 pm Sorry to hear. Can hardly beleive your post. I tried Windows 11 3 times and got rid of it 3 times. It sounds like you are using 10.
I tried Linux probably 20 times over the years and got rid of it 20 times.
The second hand servers I see that are for sale all have Windows 10 Pro. I don't think a lot of professional users change that for Windows 11 but that is just a guess from me. Windows 10 Pro is reasonably stable here on the old Dell, I have a non server Asus as backup that has Windows 10 plain, that can go for Windows 11 but I would not risk it. The Dell won't have Windows 11. The updates for Windows 10 (Pro) are not a sure thing though. The one before last would not install on both my machines. It just aborted the installation on both... How do they test this? I usually do try the Windows 10 updates when they become available but have disabled these terribly inconvenient automatic reboots that will just kill everything you have got running at the time. Can't be good for your machine and is very bad etiquette. I have no exotic applications except for Windows itself. Update browsers as quickly as possible because these are vulnerable. Check whenever I launch a browser for the updates. And block any ads I can.

Dann's story is computer horror, every time. I had thought he had switched to Linux though completely.
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you
are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
-- Brian W. Kernighan