Speaking of Windows

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

swami

Re: Speaking of Windows

Post by swami »

hgm wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:44 am Windows 7 was not so bad. I am still using it. Advantage is that it is no longer supported. So there are no updates to destroy it.
Windows 7 is, and always, will be my favourite. Sometimes it makes me wonder if the demands of the new technologies would make this redundant but it doesn't matter excessively though, you could always have alternatives.
swami

Post by swami »

How about turning off the Windows automatic upgrade?

And maybe try to upgrade only the stable and tested version later on, if such a version comes up and the need to update arises.
Leo
Full name: Leo Anger

Post by Leo »

Modern Times wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:29 pm
Leo wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:18 pm Sorry to hear. Can hardly beleive your post. I tried Windows 11 3 times and got rid of it 3 times. It sounds like you are using 10.
I tried Linux probably 20 times over the years and got rid of it 20 times.
For whatever reason Dann is expecting Linux to solve his problems. I dont know anything about Linux. Maybe its good. I get the feeling it would take me weeks to load it up and figure it out.
Advanced Micro Devices fan.
acase
Full name: Andrew R Case

Post by acase »

It looks like you can bypass the system requirements for Windows 11 if you wanted to install it.

Just Google "bypass Windows 11 system requirements", or there are several videos on YouTube that show you how to do it.

The method I have seen floating around the web is this:
"All you have to do is install Windows 11 from the command prompt and add the line '/product server" when pointing to the setup.exe file, and it bypasses the requirements."
So the command would look like this---> setup /product server

There is also a Microsoft "official way" of bypassing the system requirements here:
https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-m ... f-warning/
towforce

Post by towforce »

Modern Times wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:29 pm
Leo wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:18 pm Sorry to hear. Can hardly beleive your post. I tried Windows 11 3 times and got rid of it 3 times. It sounds like you are using 10.
I tried Linux probably 20 times over the years and got rid of it 20 times.

There do exist people who use Linux successfully - and hopefully some of them spend more time doing what they want the computer to do than monkeying with the OS to get it to work.
Writing is the antidote to confusion.
It's not "how smart you are", it's "how are you smart".
Your brain doesn't work the way you want, so train it!
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

swami wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:17 am
hgm wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:44 am Windows 7 was not so bad. I am still using it. Advantage is that it is no longer supported. So there are no updates to destroy it.
Windows 7 is, and always, will be my favourite. Sometimes it makes me wonder if the demands of the new technologies would make this redundant but it doesn't matter excessively though, you could always have alternatives.
Windows 8 was actually my favourite, but I'm definitely in the minority there.
acase
Full name: Andrew R Case

Post by acase »

Modern Times wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:14 pm
swami wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:17 am
Windows 8 was actually my favourite, but I'm definitely in the minority there.
After Windows 8 got patched up, and after you install "classic shell" it did actually work quite well.
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

I terms of Dan's comment that MS says his system does not meet the criteria for Windows 11 upgrade, I don't see his particular CPU on the Microsoft eligibility list. Odd. If he specifically want to know why his system does not meet the criteria he does need to run the app that checks your system. For my old AMD laptop initially it was that the SSD was partitioned as MBR and not GPT. Once I converted it, it was then compatible.
Magnum
Full name: Arnold Magnum

Post by Magnum »

Dann Corbit wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:38 am The latest Windows update (4-7-2024) utterly fried my system.
Unable to boot.
Unable to restore to previous save point.
Unable to reinstall windows.

I had to download a new image to a USB thumb drive and wipe the old disk.
All my apps in the toilet.
All my chess applications gone.
My compilers, zoom, my bible study programs, my editors, everything.
Like flushing a toilet.
Why not pure linux now?
I recognize that there are so many Windows apps that I depend on right now.
I will slowly rebuild something I can use.
In the middle of the night some time on the 7th, my machine rebooted.
Today was the first day I could run anything.
Hope nobody else gets this same happy greeting.
I have a strange system, which cannot be upgraded to Windows 11 according to the MS analysis.
From 2019, AMD 3970x with 128GB RAM, and two 2080 Super GPUs, it is rejected for upgrade.
I need to find a way to Linux and hopefully with Wine I can run the windows stuff I need.
I hope I can recover my SQL Server instance. It has terabytes of chess data.

I do hope the same horrific terror does not befall even your worst enemy.
I have maybe 1% of the former functionality.
I have 0 problems with Windows 11 since years. It runs perfectly fine and stable without any problems on my Apple MacBook.
Linux too.
It's better to buy the M4 MAX with 192 GB RAM or M4 ULTRA later this year.
towforce

Post by towforce »

Magnum wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:38 amI have 0 problems with Windows 11 since years. It runs perfectly fine and stable without any problems on my Apple MacBook.
Linux too.

This is VERY surprising!

Buying an Apple MacBook, but then swapping the OS?

Presumably, you must love Apple hardware, but not Apple software. An unusual combination of preferences!
Writing is the antidote to confusion.
It's not "how smart you are", it's "how are you smart".
Your brain doesn't work the way you want, so train it!