Moderator Elections

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

smatovic
Full name: Srdja Matovic

Re: Moderator Elections

Post by smatovic »

...we already have the EO subforum, just move all Draude++ posts to EO, I don't get why they should stay on main page.

--
Srdja
chrisw

Post by chrisw »

smatovic wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:55 pm ...we already have the EO subforum, just move all Draude++ posts to EO, I don't get why they should stay on main page.

--
Srdja
we could instead make a narcissist sub forum where those who flagrantly, non-commercially exhort, self-promote and attention seek could post.
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

AndrewGrant wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:22 pm
Rebel wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:40 pm How constructive of you.
Moderators taking action against the most pervasive troll on the forum would indeed be constructive. Personally, I don't care, as I don't see ChessQueen posts anymore.

Perhaps the solution to lack of moderation is an open source maintained list of trolls by the community, and the corresponding browser scripts to remove all of their posts. Free market solution to moderator inaction.
Cheesequack has p1ssed all over this forum for the last few years. I don't understand why the mods do nothing. If you want a great forum you must do your job.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

I don't like the idea of banning someone because they are very unpopular or have different views.
If someone rubs you the wrong way, just ignore them. Or use a killfile if the forum software allows it.
If someone is to be banned, it should be for repeated charter violations and not simply because we do not like the things that person says.

Perhaps there were charter violations I am not aware of (I was away a long time because I did not like the uncivilized treatment of Albert Silver, and nobody would listen to my pleas for respectful conduct. (Which is why I will never serve as moderator again).

Perhaps what is wanted is a rewriting of the charter so that people can be ousted for having an unpopular opinion or saying things that others feel are inaccurate. I would not like that, but I can vote with my feet.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
smatovic
Full name: Srdja Matovic

Post by smatovic »

Dann Corbit wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:22 pm [...]
Trolling can be an art, different views can be tolerated, my own boundary is exceeded if one posts intentionally and repeatedly false and constructed material to intentionally fool others, it wastes my time for debunking.

***edit***
...I can add them just to my ignore list though, the foe list in user control panel.

--
Srdja
AndrewGrant
Full name: Andrew Grant

Post by AndrewGrant »

Dann Corbit wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:22 pm Perhaps there were charter violations I am not aware of (I was away a long time because I did not like the uncivilized treatment of Albert Silver, and nobody would listen to my pleas for respectful conduct. (Which is why I will never serve as moderator again).
Even more people did not like the uncivilized way that Albert treated the Leela and Stockfish projects.

You don't have to be civilized in the face of barbarism.
Friendly reminder that stealing is a crime, is wrong, and makes you a thief.
"Those who can't do, clone instead" - Eduard ( A real life friend, not this forum's Eduard )
Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Post by Ras »

Werewolf wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:21 amCheesequack has p1ssed all over this forum for the last few years. I don't understand why the mods do nothing. If you want a great forum you must do your job.
Because the job of the moderation is enforcing the charter only. This is both to keep arbitrary / capricious moderation in check by giving them some sort of standards, and so that members can know in advance what's acceptable. It's not the job of the moderation to crack down on trolling that happens within the charter. It's the members who have to propose and vote for charter modification, but that never happened.

What's your proposal for a charter update that would address that issue?
Rasmus Althoff
https://www.ct800.net
AndrewGrant

Post by AndrewGrant »

Ras wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:28 am
Werewolf wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:21 amCheesequack has p1ssed all over this forum for the last few years. I don't understand why the mods do nothing. If you want a great forum you must do your job.
Because the job of the moderation is enforcing the charter only. This is both to keep arbitrary / capricious moderation in check by giving them some sort of standards, and so that members can know in advance what's acceptable. It's not the job of the moderation to crack down on trolling that happens within the charter. It's the members who have to propose and vote for charter modification, but that never happened.

What's your proposal for a charter update that would address that issue?
Mods have no problem moving my troll posts. They should have no problem moving the garbage shit-posting of others?
"Those who can't do, clone instead" - Eduard ( A real life friend, not this forum's Eduard )
Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Post by Ras »

AndrewGrant wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:43 amMods have no problem moving my troll posts. They should have no problem moving the garbage shit-posting of others?
Seems my posting was too long, so I'll reduce the point to just three words: "within the charter."
Rasmus Althoff
https://www.ct800.net
AndrewGrant

Post by AndrewGrant »

Ras wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:15 am
AndrewGrant wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:43 amMods have no problem moving my troll posts. They should have no problem moving the garbage shit-posting of others?
Seems my posting was too long, so I'll reduce the point to just three words: "within the charter."
Well then they aught to stop moving my posts to random forums just because they don't like it. Since its not "within the charter."